Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure tank installation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADAG

Mechanical
Aug 8, 2003
PA
Hello,
I have the following situtation regarding the installation of a water pressure tank and I would like some advice:

I have a well with a submersible pump, pumping water to two 1000 gls storage tanks adjacent to the well site. About 1100 feet away from here there is going to be a shed with a pressure tank to supply water to a few surrounding facilities. I am a little confused about what to do to feed this pressure tank. I could install a pump besides the storage tanks but the problem is it is quite far to send the signal from the pressure switch at the pressure tank to the pump at the well site. Then again I could put the pressure switch at the pump outlet at the well site, with the pressure setting for the pressure tank plus the friction losses in the 1100 ft pipe. I am not sure however is that is going to work allright. Any suggestions or comments are most welcome.

Thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Apparently Cycle Stop Valve is a brand name, is there a generic name for this type of valve or is this a patent protected sole source valve?

"Regarding shaft design, I must say that the pump companies I have worked for over many years do not/did not design pump shafts to the bare minimum - which happens to cover pumps from a few kW up to many thousands of kW."

This is generally the case. Since a strong shaft and heavy duty bearings can prevent radial deflection, there is usually no problem with throttling most pumps. While pump companies will say it is OK to run their pumps at complete dead head for 60 seconds or less, very few have even tested their pumps at minimum flow for extended time periods. Therefore, I tested them myself. I tested a 50 HP submersible by running it continuously at 5 GPM for 12 months. I tested 200 HP and 250 HP vertical turbines running continuously at 5 GPM for months. I tested 100 HP and smaller end suction centrifugal pumps as low as 3 GPM. I tested residential size jet pumps and submersibles running continuous at ½ and 1 GPM for many years. After the tests, these pumps and motors where disassembled and inspected for damage. Absolutely no damage was found on any of these pumps or motors. There were no signs of radial deflection, bearing or shaft damage, heat buildup, or cavitation like wear from recirculation. In the last 15 years there have been several hundred thousand systems installed with these type valves. To this date we have yet to see a single pump destroyed by low flow rates. I believe low flow is something that has not been tried, because most people falsely believe throttling will destroy a pump. This is definitely not the case when moving fairly cool water.

"Apparently Cycle Stop Valve is a brand name, is there a generic name for this type of valve or is this a patent protected sole source valve?"

Constant Pressure Pump Control Valve is a generic term. However, the patented internal bypass of the CSV is the key to valve reaction speed and dependability. There are several other valve companies trying to copy the CSV but, valves with drilled holes or bypass tubes have many problems and do not give the same performance as a CSV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back