Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

proper pump alignment procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfj

Mechanical
Apr 7, 2003
US
What is the proper procedure to align a base mounted hot water /chilled water pump? I can use as much detail as possible as to how to set-up to take the proper measurements.
Thanks,
jfj

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have worked with a laser alignment system which tells you where to place shims to align the motor shaft with the power end. I have seen a person use a dial gage also. The general procedure is to place the equipment on the shaft so that it is vertical up. Then rotate the equipment 90 degrees in one direction. The differential from the vertical alignment will be shown. You now adjust the motor so that the differential is within the parameters that are given by the pump manufacturer. Then go back to vertial up and see if there is a new differential. Repeat the alignment process and rotate to the other direction. Once you have gone through one iteration of this check that all differentials are in specification and put the coupler back on. I hope this helps you.

Most millwrighting books will show several methods for alignment, and explain them. Audels "Millwrights And Mechanics Guide" has a section on this.

API Recommended Practices 686, Section 7, also does a good job covering alignment procedures for various types of equipment.

Bear in mind if you're talking a foot-mounted hot water pump you'll have to perform a hot-alignment as well as the preliminary cold alignment, as depending on the pump size it can grow quite a bit (for a proper alignment, this means more than a few thou of an inch) vertically from thermal expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back