Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Question about your (life) partner 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrunoPuntzJones

Materials
Oct 27, 2005
US
Ok, here's a few questions I'm interested in hearing the answers to.

How many of you have husbands, wives, girlfirends or boyfriends that are engineers or have technical or scientific jobs?

Would you prefer to marry (or date) someone with a technical / science background or would you prefer someone who works in an entirely different field?

I'll hold off on answering for myself until a few others reply.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm glad to see some people in the same boat as me - ME married to an ME. We work at different sites in the same company and have broad enough interests to not have to talk shop all the time.

A quick thought on some of the guys I hung out with in my graduating class - 4 out of 5 married teachers. The nurses must have all been taken that year.

LewTam Inc.
Petrophysicist, Leading Hand, Natural Horseman, Prickle Farmer, Crack Shot, Venerable Yogi.

I married a teacher. Perhaps it was destined since both my parents, 2/4 grandparents, 4/7 aunts & uncles, and 2 cousins are teachers -- sort of a family thing, I guess.

It works well for child rearing because her schedule follows the schools' schedules. She's been working P/T since our daughter was born which puts her home by noon every day.

--------------------
How much do YOU owe?
--------------------

I married a teacher. We raised several teachers. They talk about teacher stuff.

I couldn't imagine being married to an engineer. With engineers, generally speaking things are so black and white. I can't imagine being married to a person who views things as black and white as I do.

The wife's favorite thing to do is to get with the wives of other engineers and discuss the travail of being married to an engineer.

Toilet paper is not an issue in our household. However putting the toilet lid down is. However, I get less of that since I posed the question "since I have to use the toilet in a sitting position at times, obviously less than a woman does, but none the less at least on a daily basis and I have never sat down on the porcelein part of the toilet, does that prove that men are smarter than women?"

That seemed to take the urgency off of nagging me about putting the toilet lid down. And, the cat has never fallen in.

rmw

My wife is extremely clever and she can see immediately if a battle is lost; She never mentioned to me the issue of the toilet lid.Up to today, I still don't know if she is annoyed or not about this issue. I believe that she isn't.

My mom was an elemetary school teacher, my dad a professor of engineering. This works really well for my parents, as my dad has never quite grown up, and my mom treats him like a 3rd grade schoolboy (ha!)

Wes C.
------------------------------
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

My soon to be wife works at a notary solicitor's office while she has an agricultural (dairy cattle farming) education. She's an absolute non-tech person and that's
probably a good thing since I'd be discussing tech-stuff all the time. And that's exactly what I do with my father who used to be a machinist (turning & milling).

Solidworks 2006/DBWorks 2006 user

I am an engineer married to an engineer. We both work at different companies in different industries. I'm an AAE working as an ME, and he is an ME.

We have a lot of the same hobbies, but our personalities are a lot different.

Wes616,

I think that is what is happening to me. My wife teaches at a primary school. If she can cope with 30 of the little terrors running about, I on my own must be quite easy to deal with.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

It seems like most of the engineers prefer teachers as their wives. My question is, from where did these engineers get to know their wives? Hang out at the education dept. often? They were classmate during high school time?

I married a school teacher too. One thing she can do that sends me ducking for cover is use her "school teacher" tone of voice. When I hear that, I make myself scarce.

rmw

PS to fglass: I met her in Church. When I went to engineering school, there were no girls in engineering classes.

Australian engineer married to a nurse. It's a popular combination and it works for us.

And we agree on how the toilet paper should hang!

I met her in a bar. Perhaps both professions have a liking for the bottle?

The School Voice is scary isn't it? Kinda like my mother sounded when I was a little kid misbehaving.

image.php

Two comments.

First, I was (WAS) married to a nurse. She worked in intensive care. You can forget about ever finding sympathy for any of your ailments, sir, because ALL DAY she's been dealing with people tottering on the brink of death... Your simple cold ain't gonna get you anything...

Second, I knew a female engineer at a previous place of employment. After I left there and became a contractor, I was back in the facility for some work and noted that she'd been moved to a maintenance planner position. I had a friend that still worked there as a maintenace foreman in her area as to how she was to work with. "Bud," he told me, "that is ONE strange woman. Her husband is an engineer, too. I think they probably have to plot a graph before they have sex..."

old field guy

I'm married to a nurse, I am an industrial designer. The only problems we have are projected around the house. She is always criticizing that I do things to complicated, and I hate it when she starts something without knowing how she wants to finish it!!! ...or changes it midway!!! BUT I think it's more a male/female thing.

oilfieldguy ...your dead on about trying to get sympathy ...or medical treatment from an ER nurse!!!

My wife has been in magazione advertising sales and just started her own magazine with a partner.

The flexibility and money in that market are outstanding. Its part of what makes me enjoy engineering less and less. Its amazing how structured we have to be (8-5, etc...) and how little money we make in comparison.

Ed

I remember when one cold moring I stepped out of the back door to go to my car and slipped on the ice. My stupid brain instantly developed a reflex to keep the laptop, provided by the company, from hitting the ground which meant I tried to save myself with one arm which I then broke at the wrist and elbow.

I crawled back to the house nursing my laptop and woke my wife, the ex-nurse.

She quite unsympathetically wiggled my arm and said she thought it probably was broken and she had better take me to the hospital. I sat waiting for nearly an hour while she dressed and put on her make-up before finally driving me in for an X-ray and treatment. She is not a "morning person".

Meanwhile I am now trying to learn a new reflex that says "drop the laptop dummy".

JMW

jmw,

I did almost the same thing wandering home from a night out a few winters ago. I'd bought a pizza from my local shop and was eating it en-route while it was warm rather than wait until I got home. I slipped on the ice and fell backward as my feet shot from under me. In my inebriated state I managed to land the pizza box flat and right way up on my chest milliseconds before the back of my head struck the concrete. My first instinct was to check my pizza was ok, then my head. Had it been a laptop I would probably have tried to save my head and left the laptop to its fate. No wonder my waistline keeps expanding. I received absolutely no sympathy at all from my wife for the lump on my head, although I did enjoy the pizza!

image.php

It sounds like you've got your priorities straight, Scotty :)

My mum's a nurse and two of my favourite lines from her were:
"don't get blood on the carpet" and
"you know where the bandaids are"...

My husband and I are both engineers. Most female engineers I know have married other engineers. I swore I wouldn't marry another engineer, but I did.

It's nice to get some empathy with some of the frustrations of engineering and it's nice to cheer each other on. It works for us. We don't talk shop much as we're in different fields, but we share a similar mindset (and a truly awful sense of humour).

I have to say I don't know how we'll both manage engineering careers if we have kids. Most of my girlfriends with engineering degrees who have kids are no longer working in engineering anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back