Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rebars Sever Corrosion Effects 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALK2415

Structural
Sep 15, 2014
IQ
What's your opinions on following lack of QC/QA control of major highway bridge ?
can you estimate actual reduction percentage of bearing capacity of these curved box girder ?
Is there a reliable testing method that could investigate the propagated corrosions among rebars ?
Can loading test (actual loaded trucks HS20-44) prevail "corrosion" and its effects on short terms structural performance

1672406257879_bucapa.jpg
1584289227620_wdi85e.jpg
1581403151213_q0mrjy.jpg
1584289230923_bgqs3w.jpg
1584289227620_x8qxdq.jpg
1613303252755_ruifyr.jpg
1613303253562_eqw2nw.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

...the accelerated corrosion at the damaged area causes more epoxy to fail. Concrete cover or HDG (depending on the cause of corrosion) is usually better.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Yes a little... not anything like aluminum, though... not even close. HDG, along with the passivity provided by the high pH of the concrete, and increased concrete cover is often used for corrosion resistance.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Sacrificial anodes are the preferred option amongst our clients, mostly in ports and harbours. Few want to carry out the regular monitoring and maintenance necessary with impressed current systems, though I was involved with some extensive schemes with a highway authority years ago. Comprehensive cathodic protection of epoxy-coated rebar doesn't seem very easy to achieve/ practical.

As a Developer and VP of a GC I have installed nothing but hot dipped galvanized on exposed areas in coastal construction in South Florida, maintaining coatings goes a long way to prevent costly mediation. I have had subcontractors try to spray paint it with cold once or twice, they never did it more than once.

Most of these things are so simple to prevent it frustrates me, Millenium Tower was different, the GC, Foundation Co, Engineer and Architect should all lose their licenses, they bragged about saving a few million and a month of time, that is just someone that should not have a stamp or a license. At that level everyone should know what the appropriate Geotech work looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back