Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Self Driving Uber Fatality - Thread III 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

vw.jpg

Dik: I like funny. Trust me, in other forums I make jokes that would have made your mother blush. But I'm surprised to see this sort of thing at a forum that prides itself in professionalism. Just as I wouldn't expect to see Denny Pate jokes invoking the name of the dead worker and people crushed under the bridge in Florida to "make a point" I wouldn't expect to see this either. That's all.

Another Tesla crash in Florida:

A FIERY car crash near Fort Lauderdale beach in Florida has left two 18-year-olds dead.

Spartan5 said:
that would have made your mother blush.

Mom was too sensitive... the pix was not on topic, but, appreciated... Cannot run on technical sh*t all the time... need a bit of a lightener.

dik

drawoh: ya, but, not for the six screaming passengers... driverless autos will happen, it's just a matter of time.

Dik

Is self driving taxis another way of saying public transportation has failed to deliver? Sure seems like it.

But then again, it looks to me like our state highway department is failing us. What technology will fix that, and how will self driving cars handle that?

cranky108 said:
Is self driving taxis another way of saying public transportation has failed to deliver? Sure seems like it.

I live in Toronto, Canada, and I use public transit to get downtown. Public transit requires housing at densities high enough to generate bums in seats (or standing)[sad]. Most North American suburbs are designed around people with cars. The wide property frontages mean that any place you want to visit is not in walking range, and that there will be few people standing at the transit stops. A robot car sorts of works around this, but I cannot see it being as cheap as a bus.

--
JHG

dik said:
drawoh: ya, but, not for the six screaming passengers... driverless autos will happen, it's just a matter of time.

My interpretation of the article is that they were racing. There was no mention of robot control.

--
JHG

"Is self driving taxis another way of saying public transportation has failed to deliver"

No, but as alluded to, public transportation only works for a situation where populations are located close to a bus line, and are traveling to a "downtown" situation. I would absolutely ride the streetcar, IF I were living in the avenues and worked in downtown SF, because parking is essentially non-existent there. In other places, buses are completely unworkable unless you have absolutely no other choice. In my first job out of college, I clocked a 7 mile commute at about 50 minutes of travel time due to the 2 transfers and wait times needed to get to work and back. And, that was in a city, which, admittedly, wasn't as dense as it is now, but had a reasonably configured bus system. But, McD had plenty of parking, aside from the eucalyptus tree lined aisle where the buzzards roosted, and the 15 minute commute was significantly shorter than the bus ride.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

From the AP:

"A Tesla sedan with a semi-autonomous Autopilot feature has rear-ended a fire department truck at 60 mph (97 kph) apparently without braking before impact, but police say it's unknown if the Autopilot feature was engaged."

When playing with high tech toys RTFM is often advisable

“Traffic-Aware Cruise Control cannot detect all objects and may not brake/decelerate for stationary vehicles, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h) and a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary vehicle or object is in front of you instead.”

stationary target? check
>50 mph ? check

Actually that incident is a success story, the car was totalled and the driver broke his ankle. And of course we don't know if AP was on.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back