Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Self Driving Uber Fatality - Thread III 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My wife was hit head on by a driver who crossed the double yellow at a divided-highway crossing intersection. My wife stopped and honked the horn before the impact. The other driver, with no insurance and apparently not carrying a license, driving the car of a friend, explained how she thought my wife was wrong and that's why she hit her. Fortunately it was a low-speed collision; only did about $2000 damage to the wife's car. Police wrote a ticket, but why bother with towing the offending car and impounding it? Can't sue poor people.

Not surprised:
The backup driver in an autonomous Uber that struck and killed a pedestrian in March looked down inside the vehicle more than 200 times and her smartphone was streaming NBC’s “The Voice” in the run-up to the deadly collision, according to Tempe, Ariz., police investigators.

Rafaela Vasquez “appears to react and show a smirk or laugh at various points during the time she is looking down,” according to a police report released late Thursday. Her eyes were repeatedly trained on the “lower center console near her right knee,” police said. Video recordings don’t show what she’s doing with her hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back