Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
thread815-412357
thread815-470048

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I confess I cannot figure out what Jaxon is trying to communicate.

When you "...scrap an elaborate strategy...", it's usually because it's not working. So, Jaxon. What's not working?

Rewrite!!!

spsalso

spalso, I think Jaxon is just repeating what Hamburger, through the Homeowners Association, and the City are telling him. That's why it does not make any sense! I can think of four reasons why they might have resumed work on Fremont Street: (1) There is a problem with confirming that the jet grout plug is sound and they need more time to sort that out; (2) they realized that full transfer of load to some or all of the planned 6 perimeter piles along Mission Street, without simultaneously transfering load along Fremomt Street was nuts and would have done funny things to the mat, and maybe the moment frames and the facade as well; (3) they realized that installing the secondary secant piles on Fremont Street would not affect tilt and settlement nearly as much as installing the primary secant piles did (because the secondary piles have existing primary piles on both sides so there has to be less ground loss as the casing is advanced - and also because the primary piles provide some resistance to lateral movement of the soil adjacent to the building, at least until it is excavated out), and (4) they are running out of time and money. It is reported that they are now operating on the insurance coverage that Millennium Partners agreed to buy on the design team and the Fix contractor in order to seal the settlement deal, so it might actually be the insurers who are now calling the shots. Or some combination of the above? Who knows?!

I'm not into seismic design very much or 'real' highrise structures... but, I think the problem is a lot worse than everyone involved says. It may just be my ignorance of these issues. If the insurance companies are 'calling the shots', I would have thought that they would have called in experts to determine just how serious the issue is. The work done over the last few years has not been impressive, and does not instill a lot of confidence.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

This new article by geotechnical engineer Robert Pyke might be of interest. I hope that it is not too long.

Happy_New_Year_001_kx9wcu.png
Happy_New_Year_002_igvbue.png
Happy_New_Year_003_k6vsty.png
Happy_New_Year_004_rwe3jm.png
Happy_New_Year_005_t5usy8.png

No... it's just about the right length. I'm surprised the City of San Francisco or the California Professional Engineers Association hasn't gotten involved.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I agree with dik, the article seemed about the right length and with a great explanation of what is happening. I certainly understand why the original president of the HOA resigned, I wouldn't of been comfortable at all signing on to this proposal. The internal micro piles certainly seem like a much better solution for many reasons I'm really surprised it wasn't pursued more (even if it was value engineered). The fact that these new exterior piles are not solidly connected to the mat is of great concern to me and the fact that they are actually "fused" in their connection is even of more concern! I wonder what the press will be if some of these fuses break?

Thank you dik and Mark R.

Someone-else noticed that the date is screwed up. I think he meant December 30 because that is the reference to the NYT article. I'll let him know. Guy has a Ph.D., so he likely does not know what day it is!

Oh, and one more thing. The chosen fix was not as far as I know value engineered. Just reviewed by two academics in the context of a mediation proceeding. I have been involved in those and it is like making sausage!

The Tip-o-meter keeps reporting its results.

It's still tipping.

Have you thought how convenient it would have been if the Tip-o-meter had never been established?

For some people.

spsalso

spsalso... do you have a new link to the tilt-o-meter? I cannot locate it at the old site.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Thanks...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back