Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Shims Under Roof Sheathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRAK.Structural

Structural
Dec 27, 2023
US
Anyone seen this type of thing before? Story from my client is that the shims were done from the attic area as a repair (so after sheathing and roofing was already installed). Seems to me that this would lift the sheathing from bearing on the main structure and also partially pull fasteners out.
Picture_1_jznkuq.jpg
Picture_3_zwtcoi.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

More than likely there was already a gap and they shoved those in there to keep the deck from moving too much and damaging the roofing material. But inadequate length of the nail in the truss would be a concern whether caused by the repair or a result of the poor workmanship that necessitated that repair in the first place.

I'm not sure if I'm seeing this correctly, but in the first picture, it looks like you have two nails going down from the plywood spaced at about 6", which makes it look like edge nails. To me, it seems like the edge nailing didn't hit the joist, so it was never fastened in the first place in that particular area. Then due to ambient moisture or temperature, the plywood and joist moved independently and created a vertical separation.

There would have been a gap and they’ve shoved them in to provide a little extra support.

That panel isn’t nailed, the guy missed the joist when shooting nails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back