Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Shop Drawings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

msm15

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2010
US
Hi I need to find a book that explains shop drawings for structural steel. We just got the drawings for our building but I am not familiar with a lot of terms. Is there a book that I can read that will explain some of this stuff.

All the connections are bolted - there will be no welding on the job. all the beams and columns are already cut we are mainly dealing with drilling the holes

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Haha - good point. Fear not - I am not reviewing them, they were already signed and stamped by our PE. I am just involved in ordering the steels and the fabrication.

The fact that I have an ME degree has little to do with my role here :)

Thanks

Thanks for the link connectegr.

Below is a beam from one on the pages.

Starting from the lower left corner:

1-a9 = 1 a9 in this case its an L4x3-1/2x5/16 8-1/2 long

NS/FS = Near Side and Long Side - what do those refer to ?

2-3/8 GOL - What does GOL stand for and what is 2-3/8 referring to ?

5-1/2 CC (Center to Center) - which centers ?

3-7/8x2-1/2 A325n - Bolt stuff, I know that info.

What is the hexagon with the 15/16x1-1/8 inside referring to ?

and what is the "IN OSL" ?

Next area is the top left where it says (-5-5/8) what are those numbers referring to ?

Then over to the top right it says (P/P 24-3) (-4 7/16) What are those numbers referring to ?

Thanks for your help much appreciated

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f0e6aa87-e26b-4dda-afb4-b6e6a580f3b5&file=1M.bmp
NS/FS - near side/ far side - an angle is located on each side of the beam web

GOL - gage of angle - the dimension from the heal of the angle to the center of the bolt hole.

Gage - center to center dimension between the columns of bolts.

OSL - outstanding leg

15/16 x 1 1/8" - Short slot hole - probably horizontal

I tried to blow this up

Note: The actual dimension center of slot to center of slot is not exactly the Gage (5 1/2"). The holes in the column flange will be standard round holes a 5 1/2" c/c. The slots are necessary for this difference. Otherwise, a specific GOL would be required for every minor change in beam web thickness.

Hope this helps.

Are you having this fabricated by a structural steel fabricator? Are the holes being located and drilled by a CNC beamline? Or mag drilled one at a time?

5 1/2" is a standard bolt gauge for flanges.

The Detailer must have a set of the job standards, there are variations between fab shops.

Michael.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back