Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Show/Hide failure....

Status
Not open for further replies.

b18c5rjdm

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2005
US
2006 SP 4.1, In an assembly with other assemblies in it, I right click on a part and all that is available is show and show all. I can open one of the other sub-assemblies and the hide function is there... Also, on the assembly tool bar if I click on a part, the hide/show icon is already depressed? Can any one shed light? I have re-booted and done a system restore..

Go Honda!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you trying to hide the assy or supress it?

Edson Gebo
Mechanical Designer/Drafter
SW2007 SP2.0
Cadra 2006 (yup 2D still exists)
-------------------------------------
Sometimes Success Begins at Failure

Try to right click on the part in the tree instead of the assy. And if so can you hide the part? If not can you explain more or provide snapshot of what you get.

Edson Gebo
Mechanical Designer/Drafter
SW2007 SP2.0
Cadra 2006 (yup 2D still exists)
Sometimes Success Begins at Failure

I believe you are going to have to Dissolve the Sub-Assembly that contains the part that you are trying to hide. I know it sucks, but them's the breaks.

Right click on the Sub-Assembly that contains the part, and pick Dissolve Sub-Assembly. Now you should be able to Show/Hide whatever you want.

Hope that helps.

Dan

I have only seen this once before and I'm not sure as to what exactly I did that fixed it but I opened the part that was causing problems and re-saved it, closed the part, then opened the assembly again. It seemed to reload itself and then I was able to hide it. Maybe try setting it to lightweight then resolve it??

Also, I've seen something similar happen on a part that was downloaded from a manufacturer's site and was imported into the assembly as an IGES or STEP file.

I have evrything turned on in every menu. I've re-created the whole assembly, THAT fixed the problem... ha ha, I wonder if this is just a glitch of some sort.. Does anyone know if there is a later service pack release than 4.1??

Go Honda!

I have a very similar problem with surfaces within assemblies sometimes. I can't get the surface to stay hidden. I've found that I must open the part that contains the surface, hide the surface, then start to edit something. I open some sketch for editting, then close the sketch without changing anything, then save the part. Viola! The surface now stays hidden. Without the false edit step the surface cannot be shown or hidden. Doing this once in a given assembly seems to fix the problem permanently in that assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back