Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single engine oxygen systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanAlesi

Mar 24, 2003
US
Hi all,
I am currently designing a fixed oxygen system for a 4 place single. Typical system with 40 cu ft, charge on bottle at the baggage comp., discharge panel, flow fuse, warning light and mechanical gauge. I have yet to argue with the Feds for not having a system (typically cable or electric) for the pilot to turn on and off the system (FAR 23.114x). Protection against the line rupturing is provided by the selenoid valve.

Alt. is FL180, four passengers.

I may use a pressure transduced (about 800$) and display the signal on the MFD, but need to route to a convertor first for analog to digital conversion.

Initially, at least on the POC, I will try and certify the system with four nasal outlets. Quite cheap. I may use masks instead later on.

I would like to compare my design and price estimation with other airplane systems (T182, 36 Bonanza series, the mooney with the fixed oxygen and the Saratoga TC). Every manufacturer's website I visited provided minimum system info, some just price, some just saying "fixed ogygen optional".

I would like to know duration and capacity, price, basic system schematic of those airplanes. An illustrated parts catalog would be very nice. Does anyone know where can I get those? Also if you have any input on the system, please share.

I will post this thread on more than one forum, sorry if you read it twice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mac*,
Surely you jest. On a piston-powered airplane, what would provide the required airflow at the temperatures and pressure needed by an OBOGS? (Piston turbos do not provide 2 atmospheres pressure at 18,000ft). And who makes an OBOGS that competes in the same price range as the OX bottle system described by JeanAlesi?

You said that the crew doesn't have a shut-off? What activates the system?

I've had occasion to thoroughly examine an existing oxygen system in an Electra water-bomber (special mod just for flight crew oxygen) and in that case, the flow fuse wasn't required, but the crew had a shut-off, and a flow meter so that they could gauge their usage. They referred to a chart pulled out of some advisory material (I think) to set it up for a given altitude and # of crew members. Can't tell you the price of the system because it wasn't done by me in the first place, and it was a fleet job (8 aircraft) so costs are hard to scale down to a one-off, even if I did know. I can tell more about the system if you want, tho, when I have more time.

STF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back