Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Standing Rock Turned Down 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that question was "why not one more pipeline reroute?" I wasn't in the meetings any more than you were, but there noes come a point where you decide to stop negotiating with terrorists. I could see this playing out as:
[ul]
[li]The pipeline company gives in and moves the line 5 miles upstream (requiring extensive and expensive new environmental assessment and removing miles of pipe.[/li]
[li]The terrorists declare victory, have a party and move their camp 5 miles upstream on some other made up pretext.[/li]
[li]The pipeline never gets built, 5 billion dollars gets written off, Baaken producers continue to pay $30/bbl to transport crude by rail into a $50 market (makes the returns kind of skinny).[/li]
[/ul]

There is a point where giving in is far worse than standing your ground. I'm thinking I'm about to find that point myself.

[bold]David Simpson, PE[/bold]
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

It's more interesting and important that they are not using any engineering direction. Bad times coming.

Dik

Regarding: I would be most interested for someone that truely knows this pipeline routing criteria to tell me WHY this pipeline had to cross the contested land where it did and why there were no viable alternatives. That's the key to pipeline routing.

THe reason for the selected route was to save money on the cost of r/w aquisition and permitting and also save time on the construction. It appears that the strategy for the routing of the pipeline involved use of existing pipeline corridors to expedite permitting and r/w costs. However, the existing pipelines are oil and gas pipelines. The Dakota Access pipeline will transport oil that is mixed with diluent so that the oil can be pumped.

There are many complaints around the country as pipeline operators have been adding new pipelines into existing r/w.

Chairman Archambault's interpretation: "Perhaps only in North Dakota, where oil tycoons wine and dine elected officials and where the governor, Jack Dalrymple, serves as an adviser to the Trump campaign, would state and county governments act as the armed enforcement for corporate interests."

bimr,

I hope you are contributing to the fund.

Where do you expect me to get my news, the Washington Post? Not happening.

Don't care where you obtain your opinions, but the posting of conspiracy theories (written by a woman sitting in a Denver basement) as facts reflects poorly on one's character.

People that lack critical thinking skills generally go to websites like snopes for verification of outlandish tales:

I am aware of Snopes. As to the first four links you provided above, they won't improve your "critical thinking skills" or "character" any more than the Washington Times will mine.

bimr,
Because it is "Snopes" you find it credible? I just followed your link and found it to be at odds with what I've seen on the local TV news, police press conferences, and reports from friends working in the area. All three of which have more credibility than Snopes ever had (and the National Enquirer has more credibility than Snopes has after their election "fact checking" that used the DNC as their only source).

[bold]David Simpson, PE[/bold]
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

Regarding:

I suppose this is also a disreputable source? Seems strange that this is reported so differently in various places, but of course I know the leftstream press does its best to change the narrative to fit its objectives.

Unfortunately, it is another example of a pay for play right wing disreputable source. Just follow the money.

Written by a "Simon Lomax"

Simon Lomax contracts with the Independence Institute as an Associate Energy Policy Analyst. Of course, he has zero experience in the energy business!

The Independence Institute is a free-market, libertarian think tank based in Denver, Colorado. The non-profit is a member of the State Policy Network. Independence Institute states its mission as "to empower individuals and to educate citizens, legislators and opinion makers about public policies that enhance personal and economic freedom."[1]

Don't confuse this Coors-funded Independence Institute with the similarly-named Independent Institute.

The Independence Institute has ties to ALEC through membership in "task forces." Barry Poulson, a senior fellow at the institute's Fiscal Policy Center, is an advisor to ALEC's Tax and Fiscal Policy Task Force.[17][18] Mr. Poulson participates in the Public Pension Reform Working Group. He gave a report on their behalf to the task force at the 2011 Annual Meeting.[19]

Look at the Forbes disclaimer:

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

You really think that the forbes clown went out to Standing Rock?

It is easy to find unemployed liberal arts majors to write these non-sense essays to confuse the public.

Most people would agree that the AP is a credible new source.

NPR had the same story on the radio this morning; the cleanup is going too slow.

hokie can't tell when he's being punked.
Look at the Forbes' reporter's credentials. He actally listed them, which really was quite helpful. That's the CV of a career oily-gassy swamp resident. A professional lobbiest! Association, Committee, Committee, Association. Nothing named company or corporation anywhere in his CV.

Reaction to change doesn't stop it :)

I was just trying to find a source that bimr would accept. He likes the AP, so we'll stick with them.

I didn't know there was a word "punked", and won't look it up. I do know when my "character" and "critical thinking skills" are disparaged, and don't like it. Just like millions of people didn't like being referred to as "deplorables".

Not a really big deal. It's like getting one put over on you. Tricked? Professional lobbiests not known for being the most objective sources.

It was the same story, reported in lots of places, with a different spin. Not surprising, as I don't think there are any unbiased sources.

Finding unbiased these days is as rare as merry-go-round horse droppings. Ain't easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back