Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

The largest peacetime disaster in US Navy history...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRBaker

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2006
US
Not sure if this was technically an 'Engineering Failure' but it certainly was a 'Disaster'.

One hundred years ago today, September 8th, 1923, 14 Clemson-class destroyers, all of which were less than five-years old, were steaming from San Francisco on their way to San Diego. As they approached the Santa Barbara Channel, heavy fog set in but they continued to steam at full speed, operating under what were wartime conditions, and while radio direction finders had been developed and the squadron's flagship was so equipped and it was operating, the information was ignored because it was not considered reliable and therefore the ships were navigating using dead-reckoning techniques. It was a recipe for disaster, and that's exactly what happened.

Most of the destroyers were following in a line, close to each other, again, simulating wartime conditions, when nine of them ran aground off of Honda Point, a place which the early Spaniards referred to as the Devil's Jaw. Seven of the ships were totals loses with two managing to free themselves with only light damage. Five ships made the passage without incident. In all, 23 sailors lost their lives that night. Earlier that evening, a mail ship had also run around on a reef in the channel, but the commander of the squadron had not been notified of that until after their incident occurred. Ironically, one of the Clemson-class destroyers, which had not been damaged, was pressed into service rescuing the crew and passengers from the mail ship, which was a complete loss. Parts of the wreckage of the mail ship can still be seen on the rocks today, as is the case with debris from the seven destroyers which were lost that night.

Here's what it looked like a few days later:

NH_66721_Honda_Point_icq3ll.gif

As can be imagined, this also resulted in the largest number of officers ever being court martialed in a single case in US Navy history. In all, 11 officers, the captains of the nine ships that ran aground, the squadron commander and the flagship's navigator, were charged, but in the end, only the commander was found culpable after he took full responsibly for what happened. The other officers were acquitted.

For more information about the Honda Point disaster, go to:

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

JohnRBaker said:
in the end, only the commander was found culpable after he took full responsibly for what happened.

One word: Leadership.

If more Naval Officers still behaved that way today, I might have been tempted to stay in...

Eh, we've done that on a clear day, with GPS, with radar, with prior experience in the area.

It sounds like the Honda Point incident was a learning experience for our Navy.

Not really; sometimes, you can't eliminate the human factor from accidents.
> Navy ship gets rammed by cargo ship > Submarine bumps into undersea mountain
TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I tried listening, but the sound quality is too poor (for me) to make much out. I didn't listen to the end.

I will add in the 47 sailors who died in the USS Iowa turret explosion.

The actual event was very bad. The investigation was very bad. The US Navy did NOT look good.

Did this happen during peacetime? The ship was engaged in a training exercise, not battle. As to it being peacetime or not, when was the last time there WAS a peacetime for the United States?

spsalso

There have been a lot of navy disasters, including those related to loadng ammunition. The Port chicago disaster killed 320 men, 202 were african americans. Every disaster or accident is studied and leads to training changes and is the basis of likely 90% of the training to navy sailors and officers, just as 90% of design codes are likely related to past failures.

The fire aboard the carrier USS Forrestal killed 183 sailors , sometimes attributed to pilot John McCain. There are too many disasters related to military operations to list , it is just a dangerous job.

"...when logic, and proportion, have fallen, sloppy dead..." Grace Slick

I suspect that the claim that Honda Point was the largest peacetime disaster was in reference to the fact that seven ships were lost.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Navigating back then was not a perfect science. Celestial nav required clear skies. Get a few cloudy days and nights in a row and your dead reckoning can be pretty far off. In that case, officers need to err on the side of caution (as in keep farther off shore and slow down, etc). Wait until you can get a good fix. Definitely a screw-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back