Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

The "Fixed" Can Opener Bridge is still claiming victims...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRBaker

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2006
US
Since the original thread has been closed (link below), I'm opening a new one.

It appears that despite the fact that they raised the bridge eight inches back in 2019, the infamous 'can opener' bridge is still getting hit:

Nom, Nom, Nom: Infamous Truck-Eating Bridge Claims New Victim Despite Changes

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-'Product Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Subscribe to the youtube for many laughs. Saw a box truck get peeled open over the weekend. No amount of warnings will stop some truckers.

Precision guess work based on information provided by those of questionable knowledge

I once spent a day at a busy boat launching ramp.
It was hilarious.
Another fellow there said that he lived nearby and watching the boat launch for a couple of hours was his weekly Saturday entertainment.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

I noticed that the truck-eating bridge eats mostly rental trucks.

I was at a boat ramp once where one moment the guys were backing their boat and trailer into the water. I turn away for a bit, then turn back. The boat's floating out in the water, and the trailer is nowhere to be seen. On the plus side, their pickup truck is looking OK; so they can go home and tell everyone about how pirates stole their trailer. Or something. Maybe a great white ate it. Yeah, THAT'S what happened!

spsalso

People who own their own trucks, either companies or owner/operators, generally know where the low bridges are and knows how to avoid them. It's the 'weekend' rental guy, helping someone to move, who gets caught by this sort of thing ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-'Product Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

The camper and one other truck slowed way down, as if that changes the height of the vehicle.

Years ago I read an article (with pictures) where a nice big semi had hit the bottom of a railroad bridge, and was stuck underneath. And this good Samaritan stops to try to help, maybe with advice or a ride for help.

A train comes along up top. The semi had jogged the track enough so that the train derailed. It was a coal train, and the semi and the nice guy's truck were buried in coal. And coal gondolas.

On the good side, the two guys ran like hell, and.......

spsalso

Victim 173 is one of my favorites. The exhaust stack flipping through the air is priceless.

20201207_212648_ulwhcf.jpg

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back