Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Thickness of shell elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickkuuttila

Mechanical
Jul 19, 2011
US
Hello all,

I have a question about an error that I am receiving with regard to the thickness of shell elements (S4R). here is the error:

***WARNING: In step 1, some facet thicknesses for general contact were reduced from the parent element or specified values due to a large thickness compared to facet dimensions. The most significant thickness scaling factor was 0.89371 for a facet on parent element 2522 of instance COMPOSITE1. An element set named "WarnElemGContThickReduce" has been created for use in ABAQUS/Viewer to locate the regions of reduced thickness.

I investigated the shortest facet length of element 2522 and found it to be 0.005131 (this includes across the diagonal of the element). The thickness of my shells is assigned to 0.00254. to my knowledge this gives ratio of 0.00254/0.005131=0.495. Therefore I don't believe that I should be receiving this error messages as the default ratio maximum is 0.6. I also attempted increasing the maximum ratio to 0.9 using the max ratio option but there was no change to the group of elements that had their thicknesses scaled.

Obviously I am misinterpreting something. Could someone please tell me how the ratio is properly calculated and how to increase the allowable shell thickness?

Thanks,

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back