Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

UGNX Memory Limitations????

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewboy23

Mechanical
Jan 30, 2004
US
Can anyone tell me the memory limitations of UGNX. I've tried searching, obvisously with no luck.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends on what 'flavor' of NX it is that you're running. Now if you'er referring to the amount of memory that can be utilized while running an NX session, with 32-bit versions (hardware and software), the normal limit is about 2 gb for Windows (I suspect it's a little better on UNIX), but with XP there is an option to bump that up to about 3 gb. Now if you have 64-bit hardware, with Windows, even if you're only running a 32-bit version of NX, you can get close to 4 gb of memory. Of course, once you go to full-blown 64-bit software on 64-bit hardware, as they say, the sky's the limit.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

Yeah I guess I should have explained that part. Below are the spec's of my machine and system.

WinXP Pro 32-bit
3GB RAM (not using /3G switch)
NX3 (3.0.5.3)

Reason I ask, I have one user that constantly complains about memory errors. He always wants to point his finger at the hardware, but I tell him he's loading too much. He is loading almost an entire vehicle BIW with some tooling and not using any of the light load techniques mentioned in the assembly docs. Plus, he's the only one of 3 users, all on identical machines, that seems to have this problem.

I would say he's running into the limitations of the OS and Hardware. Either start using teh appropriate tools and techniques for large assembly models or turn the 3 gb option on.

Note that the 3 gb option is only a temporary fix. If there is going to be no change of procedures, your only hope will be 64-bit hardware/software, but even then this will only address the memory limitations, but it will have NO impact on the decreasing PERFORMANCE one is also going to get as you continue work with models that takes more and more memory, even if you ARE running on 64-bit hardware. In the long run, while you can NEVER HAVE ENOUGH MEMORY (like you can never be too rich), proper use of the tools (taking advantage of all of the techniques and features that both reduce the need for memory AND improves performance) will give a bigger return and will lead to more productive use of the software.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

That's kinda what I have been telling him. But their one of those subborn types who only response is, "Never had this problem at the last place I worked.".

Anyway, thanks for the piece of mind and support!

Its most likely a Windows limit.....Windows XP 32bit will allow you to use 2gb max....or 3gb with the switch. This is total memory allowed for programs....there is also a limit to how much one application can use and I believe its around 1.2gb.....or around 1.5gb with the 3gb switch.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
UG NX4.01.0 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2007 SP3.1 on WinXP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back