Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

USAS Y14.5-66 MMC Implied???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

changedsoul

Computer
Jul 9, 2010
US
I have this print that calls out Dimensions and Tolerances per USAS Y14.5-66.
I cannot locate this in all my attempts to search the internet.
Does anyone know what this spec may be, and if this spec implies MMC on holes?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try looking for ASME Y14.5 instead - this is considered the authoritative guideline for the design language of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T.) It establishes symbols, rules, definitions, requirements, defaults, and recommended practices for stating and interpreting GD&T and related requirements for use on engineering drawings, models defined in digital data files, and in related documents. The most recent edition (that I know of) is dated 2018.

The ASME document supersedes the earlier USAS document (the version the OP has mentioned is dated 1966, for example).

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

Thank you for your reply,

I would love to be able to use the 1973 version of Y14.5, but I have a part being checked where a hole is barely out and having MMC would make it good. The print was designed around USAS Y14.5-66 (what ever that is) and Just need to know if MMC was implied back then.
I am assuming it is similar to ASME Y14.5 but I cant find a 1966 year of that standard. Since Y14.5-1973 had MMC implied, I can guess perhaps earlier versions did as well, but I want to make sure.
I would want nothing more than to pass these parts knowing I am covered under MMC.

USAS Y14.5 was superseded by AMSE Y14.5 in 1972. There is no earlier version of the ASME document. In fact, the 1972 ASME document is recognized as the first standard to fully incorporate geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.

I suspect that since ASME grew out of the older USAS, the implication of Maximum Material Condition (or Least Material Condition) conveys from the early document.

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

Gr8blu,
That doesn't help the op who is obligated by the print to interpret per USAS Y14.5-66. To use a different version can affect original design intent.

edit: forum1103 may be a better place to ask

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

Old guy here "USAS Y14.5-66" is short for: "United States of America Standard Y14.5-66". This was a publication of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers which was just a repackaging of ANSI Y14.5-1966.

Most folks back then referenced ANSI Y14.5-1966, eventually ASME gained traction with the dimensioning and tolerancing folks and ASME began publishing the GD&T standards, starting officially in 1994.

The working groups in ASME, SME, ANSI, etc. who develop and publish standards are volunteers. Most are recognized knowledge holders who have the time and support to contribute. Some are not that knowledgeable but sell training, consulting services or ? and are seeking credibility.

Here's all the dimensioning and tolerancing standards

ASME Y14.5-2018, Dimensioning and Tolerancing
ASME Y14.5-2018, Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
ASME Y14.5.M-1994, Dimensioning and Tolerancing
ANSI Y14.5M-1982, Dimensioning and Tolerancing
ANSI Y14.5M-1973, Dimensioning and Tolerancing
ANSI Y14.5M-1966, Dimensioning and Tolerancing

ASME Y14.5-2018, Dimensioning and Tolerancing
ASME Y14.5-2018, Dimensioning and Tolerancing <-- should be ASME Y14.5-2009, Dimensioning and Tolerancing
ASME Y14.5.M-1994, Dimensioning and Tolerancing <-- should be ASME Y14.5M-1994, Dimensioning and Tolerancing
ANSI Y14.5M-1982, Dimensioning and Tolerancing
ANSI Y14.5M-1973, Dimensioning and Tolerancing
ANSI Y14.5M-1966, Dimensioning and Tolerancing

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back