Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vulcarft 2 C Conform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lot2Learn

Structural
May 8, 2011
US
A little confused about the three load tables they have for this non-composite deck.

1) Max construction load: I understand that, this is supposed to be with wet concrete.
2) Reinforced concrete allowable loads: I understand this one too, this is the capacity after concrete has cured.
3) Allowable uniform load: This is supposed to be the capacity the metal deck alone will carry. I don’t understand this table, why do I need it, I already have the above two for during construction and after construction capacities, why do I need to check this one?

Looking forward to some guidance from all the experienced folks here. Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Remember that C is a non-composite deck.

The first table you mention is obvious- don't want "ponding" or failure of the deck when concrete is wet.

The second table is the capacity of the concrete slab alone- i.e. deck does not come into play.

You could have a case where you have a very lightly reinforced concrete slab (maybe just a wearing surface) and you want your structural capacity to be provided by the steel deck- there's your third table

The third table can also be used for "man" loads. Don't forget to check the maximum span for "wet" concrete where shoring may be required.

We get 2 or 3 calls a year for an emergency shore when the EOR forgot to tell the contractor to shore the deck until the concrete has set. By the time we can get there - it is usually too late.

@ Mike:

Continuing on your explanation of table #3: Do you think that if its even a good idea to use a form deck like this alone to carry the load? Because a few months back I went for some balcony inspections, and the form deck under conc was just gone due to corrosion in most places. Or does this not fall under form decks?

Thanks

Like all structural elements - they must be maintained. If that deck was designed as a composite structure - well it no longer fills that need.

Will it fall down. Maybe not - but if it really got loaded to the original design loads - it just might.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back