Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wave geometry linker against mate constraint 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iraniii

Automotive
Sep 18, 2004
IR
can anybody tell me about
mating(with mate constraint) two faces that have two coaxial holes(made with wave geometry linker)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you have UG Documentation? Quite a few of the answers can be found there, not just for this post either.

Need more info on what you're trying to accomplish here. Can you describe your part so we can get an idea of how you wish to mate it? Is the mate end to end, aligned, centered??? Usually mating parts together involves more than one constraint.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

after
wave object link between axis of two holes(or their cylindrical faces) of two components.
certainly i should be able to mate(mate constraint) between faces containing holes, but it can not be done.
why?

I have two components, each containing a block within each. Each block has a hole feature in it. At the assembly level, I mate the two components using first, the faces that have the hole, then I mated the two inside faces of te holes, and then align using an edge of each block. no prob. edit the hole position on one block and the other block component automatically relocated to new position. make sure all of these mating conditions are driven from only one of the blocks as the parent locator.

hope this helps
ugDeveloper

agree and very good
but my question:
after wave object link between axis of two holes(or their cylindrical faces) of two components.
certainly i should be able to mate(mate constraint) between faces containing holes, but it can not be done.
why?
it means: i want to use wave geometry linker between two holes and mate constraint between two faces containing hole.
why can not i do?

Without seeing the part, I suspect that the Wave link (which controls the hole size, and location to a degree), is conflicting with the mating condition, which is also trying to position the hole location.

-Dave
"Everything should be designed as simple as possible, but not simpler"

It's hard to say exactly whats going on without seeing the part, but this is my best guess.

You have part A, with the original hole. Some surface (either the cylindrical surface of the hole or the planer surface with the hole in it) is waved into part B. Since their is a wave relationship between the two parts, the location of the hole in part B, is controlled by the hole in part A, essentially locating it. Now, you are attempting to mate part A to part B (or part B to part A), which will again try to locate the hole, thus creating a conflict, ie you can't locate the hole twice.

As an experiment, try this. Break the wave link(s), and then try to mate the components. This should determine if the wave link is causing the conflict. And/or mate the surfaces of the components BEFORE creating the wave link.

-Dave
Everything should be designed as simple as possible, but not simpler.

thanks dear gunman
you described logically and nice.
without wave, i can attach them in the correct position.
but my problem again:
if 1st: if i use the hole AXIS of the first part ans the axis of second part's hole with wave(as you wrote),
so parts can move along axis and rotate around it.
2nd: now we can attach two parts together by mate constraint, but again i can not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back