Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wave link to reusable component

Status
Not open for further replies.

icetea73

Apr 10, 2013
DE
What is the best practice when creating wave links to standard parts from the reuse library? Apparently the parent part file of a wave link needs to be modified which isn't possible because it is a standard part.
Right now I'm using 'make unique' but it doesn't feel like the right solution to the problem.

Assume the construction of a bearing cap based on a bearing from the standard parts library that I added to the assembly. I would like to wave link some faces of the bearing into the cap part to base the construction upon, but I can't because creating the links will require saving of the 'volatile' bearing part from the standard parts catalogue.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're attempting to add WAVE-linked anything inside of a Family Table member, then yes, that is NOT supported.

That being said, doing a 'Make Unique' operation is probably as elegant a solution as there is, just keep in mind that the newly created Component part file will have NO sense of it being a Family Table member. That is, if you were to make a change yo the Family template part with the intention that this is a global change, when you update the Family members, this 'orphaned' part will be unaware of this change and will not update.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing. Your first sentence reads as if I was trying to add linked stuff to an instance of a part family member.
From a users point of view I don't. I just want to link geometry from the instance into another part.

That shouldn't be a problem. When you create WAVE-links, the 'parent' part knows nothing of this, only the part file where the WAVE-linked whatever is created knows about the link.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Okay, thank you. I think the configuration of the machine in regards of the standard parts is somehow wrong and I completely misinterpreted the problem.
Cleaned up the windows temp folder (contained temporary folders regarding the reuse library)and it turn out that now, when loading an assembly that contains standard parts, these parts are not loaded and nx complains. Can't figure out yet how things are supposed to work. Setting the assembly load preferences manually to search the folder where the standard parts are installed now picks the correct parts but the instances are created in inches instead of metric (all scaled up by 25.4). A Huge mess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back