Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wierd Resistor Identifaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spode

Computer
Jan 29, 2002
GB
Hi, I can't seem the identify this resistpr. I need to replace it and it doesn't conform to the usual standard.

It goes BROWN, BLACK, SILVER, GOLD and GREEN. On a grey resistor with equal spacing between it. It's blown and there are no others on the board like it, so i can't measure it's resistance :(

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello--
Probably you are looking on a metal film type resistor. However, not only resistor nowadays used colorcoding like that but also coils, capacitors, fusable resistors, pack the same way as standard resistor. You din't mention the size in Watts. csr

If I knew the wattage I would tell you! This component is inside a projector and it's blown. I have replaced all other blown components except this one. all that I know of it, are the colours identiying it. Any idea?

Hi,

Just a thought.

It may be as suggested a five band metal film resistor but that would be a freaky value.

It could also be the type which has a failure rate band, i.e. what the mean time between failure might be.
If that is the case then it would be 10 x 10e-2 ohms or more simply 0.1 Ohms +/- 5% with a 5% chance of failure every 1000 hours. The 5% failure rate is due to the last green band. This seems a very low resistance.

However I do also agree that it need not be a resistor. some inductors have the farmiluar bone shape & the colour codes to match (fooled me on a couple of occasions).
Check the circuit that its in i.e. draw a schematic by following the circuit & see if a resistor/capacitor/inductor is suitable in that place.

If its blown anyway , is there any chance you can dismantle it and see whats inside ?.

Also any chance you can contact the manufacturer to ask them about the resistor, or get a schmatic from a third party ?.

Whatever you try good luck.
Any help ?, yes no let me know.

Regards

Did you every try figuring out what the component was based on the connecting circuit? Maybe if you mapped everything out, the component will define it self. For example, something that is connected on one side to ground will most probably be either a capacitor (not likely based on our description of the blown device), a resistor (seems like you don't feel like this is a possibility), diode (although I have never seen a diode with the markings that you are talking about). Although I have seen inductors with those types of markings, if one end was connected to ground, that would be a pretty useless circuit. Just poke around and see if you can figure it out!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Another thing i've heard about but never seen myself is having the power rating of the resistor at the end of the colour code. The green would indicate a 5watt resistor, so if it's around 3/16 to 1/4" in diameter, an around 5/8 to 3/4" long, then it's probably just that. It would be a .1 ohm resistor, 5w, 5%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back