Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windage trays and crank scrapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnage1

Electrical
Feb 15, 2003
US
I am hoping to put both on the 225 slant six i am building. I am having trouble finding any and was wondering about designing a set. also I am wondering about how much difference they really make. I am not building a HP monster but I want to pick up as many "free" HP as possible by reducing internal friction and loads as this gives better power and efficiency.

The crank scraper is the biggest question how close to the crank should it be?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have been considering doing a windage tray and scraper as well recently, I will explain what I had in mind in a quest for your opinions. I was thinking I would make a louvered type tray that would mount off the mains at four locations full length with a scraper built off it going vertically at center. After reading some of the above, I thought it might be better to have it run at an angle starting from one side of the tray for the above mentioned chisel effect. Any opininions on this?

MNRaptor, take a look at the design for the Ford SHO V6 on crank-scrapers.com. It uses part of this idea -- the chisel edge of the scraper directs oil out of the existing ports in the SHO windage tray. The scraper attaches to the main bearing girdle. I think Moroso makes a louvered full length tray for the Chrysler B/RB blocks that would give some design cues.

Dreamspeed,
Can you describe more about the design that lost hp?

One thing I have seen in "classic" scraper design is a lack of drainage ports for oil that collects on the top of the scraper. That forces the oil to go for at least another trip round once the volume builds to the point where it pushes over the edge of the "shelf."

I would rather have a scrapper that is extended and covering from the 1st cylinder until the end cylinder. This ensures the amount of oil collected from the crankcase as it moves down is collected as much as possible.

The louvers must not serve as the primary oil scrapper as the amount collected is not as much as the primary one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back