Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Working 40 hrs/week....somewhat.... 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoltecrules

Mechanical
Mar 9, 2007
US
Just thought I would share this little nugget...

Been working my current job for a little over 2 years now. The "recommended" hours were 7:45-4:30 (45 min lunch). My boss typically arrives around 7:30 AM and leaves around 6:00-7:30 P.M.

My first year, I lived about 45 min - 1hr away. At first, I would arrive around 7:45 and leave around 4:30-5:00. After awhile though, I got lazy and started to arrive around 8:15-9:45, but I would still would leave around 5:00-6:30. It was kind of easier to get work done since it was a little quieter after hours.

Probably a bad idea eh?

Just the opposite. My boss and other upper level employees started to compliment me on my "extra effort" saying how my staying late really "Showed my dedication", especially compared to those employees that worked 6:45-3:30 that were considered "lazy".

My boss also liked to really get his hands dirty after normal hours at work, since that is the only time he is free. Although he's a manager, he really seems to enjoy doing a lot of the design engineer tasks that were meant for. In fact, he told me on several occasions how lucky I am because I get to work on all the "fun stuff" while all he gets to do is the dull management stuff. Kind of seems like a severe micromanager to me, but that's for another day.

Well, last summer, I finally got a place closer to work; less than 5 minutes in fact. I actually started showing up to work a little early than most people (7:30) and leaving a little later than most (5:00).

This is where it get interesting. At my most recent review, my boss told me my "effort has declined" and that I really should put more time into the job.

The funny thing is I've always worked a min of 40 hrs/week and most of the time more than that. I just think my boss only seems to notice when I'm here later in the day. My output of work if anything has improved since my knowledge has increased.

Should I:

1. Keep working the 7:30-5:00 and hope things improve?
2. Start coming in later again and try doing the "midnight oil" strategy?
3. Start working 7:30-7:30 so everyone notices I'm here? (just kidding on this one. I know if I asked my boss what time I should work this would be his response :p)

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated too. I really don't mind working later these days either because there isn't much to do RIGHT after work Mon-Thurs.

Also, just to compare, the other 9 salaried employees in my department hours go like this:

3 work 6:45 - 3:30 (are considered "lazy")
2 work 7:45 - 4:30
2 work 8:15 - 5:00
1 works 9:15 - 6:00 (boss started complaining to him as of late)
1 works unusual hours since he's getting his BSME right now

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Performance should speak for itself regardless of the time punch..."

Ha, I remember being that naieve. If you've found that to be true you're lucky. It was true up to a point at my last employer but at this place I'm not so sure.

I agree in principle that's how it should be but human beings aren't alway completely logical. If you can play on a factor of a managers personality to your advantage, without completely taking abusing the situation, I'd say you're almost foolish not to.

Makes up for the times when not matter how hard you try your best don't seem good enough.

In fairness here it's not so much about time punch as fitting in if you want to get ahead.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back