Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Becoming Invisible 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

casseopeia

Structural
Jan 4, 2005
US

Why is it when someone has been laid off, it instantly renders them invisible?

I got the word this morning, I’m out of a job. But I have to stay on for a week or two until my testimony as an expert in an on-going trial is completed. I told my office partner and one co-worker who has been expecting the ax as I have. I have now become invisible. No one talks to me. No one even looks up when I walk by. It wasn’t like this on Friday.

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go to the Unemployment Office and file a claim.
They _will_ find out your real status, right there and then.
They will _not_ take any crap from your employer.

If it turns out you are unemployed, assert the claim to start your waiting period right away.

If I had the kind of leverage that you (may) have here, I'd bill for court time at multiple thousands of USD per day _or_fraction_thereof_, and let the partners worry about making up the difference... and coming up with cash in advance of your appearance.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Take a job anywhere, even wallmart.
They want you to testiy in court? I get $150/Hr for that crap plus expenses. Minimun 8 hr/ day.

The reason that you have been laid off is that there is no work. I am guessing that is not just your company, so finding a different employ may be difficult.

Are you still being paid? If so keep turning up to work. If you are being paid, you have a duty to do your duty for the company, so therefore, if your boss gives you more work, then you have an obligation to do it, and professional pride and a good reference, requires you to do it well. I think that this is the bottom line.

not having a finish date, does this matter? The company will have to give you a set notice period, this is a minimum notice period. You have asked for it you cannot do much more, follow it up with an another letter saying that you do not have a finish date and that you will continue to work on commitments.

At the moment everything is verbal. to formalise it send them a letter "following from our conversation I understand that i am fired but I am still to do work for you. I will continue to do this work at my previous salary".

Sorry to hear about the redundancy, I wish you the best for the future.

In my past i have been laid off so many times it does not matter, I have become jaded. And every time i went looking for a job, I got a better one with better pay. This is an opportunity for a big pay raise!!!

I remember this one job I had as a contractor, the boss would come up to me say my last day was Friday. Then on Thursday, the boss would come over and say they extended me till next Friday. Week after week went by, same thing went on till it became a running joke to me. Everytime he showed up next to my desk I would start laughing and say, "Please put me out of my misery!"

controlsdude, So why did you stay? You probably could have claimed intentional infliction of mental distress.

I’ve had this discussion with several people recently. My job is getting extended until mid-to-late July due to court schedule, nothing intentional on my employer's part. In the meantime, we’ve gotten additional work, to which I have been assigned. But I will still leave for anything that comes along within the right range. Mentally I have already left my job. I do not trust my employer to manage and market their services effectively. I have also always disliked that they under-utilize my skills, training and experience.

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

It was contract work, I was looking too, so if I find something better I am out the door. No two week notice for me, just leave that day and go to next job.

You don't owe that employer nothing, they already showed you what they are made of, not the right stuff.

On one contract job the shop called a couple of us to let us know that we were being let go. We started looking for the next job of course. Comes the day before what was our last day, the manager finds out and lets us know that he was just checking out his options and the shop misunderstood. The other guy had found a position closer to home and left. I stayed for another year or so.

Peter Stockhausen
Senior Design Analyst (Checker)
Infotech Aerospace Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back