Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

China Eastern Airlines flight MU5735 737-800 Crash 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the added info...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Do you feel any better?

-Dik

The quantity of data streaming from an particular airplane, above what it required by the operational rules for the airspace they fly in, is really going to be determined by how much money the operator wants to spend.

I have the video below book marked as a teaser for interns visiting our office. It's fun. It is dated, I doubt anyone is using a tape voice recorder any more.

My posts reflect my personal views and are not in any way endorsed or approved by any organization I'm professionally affiliated with.

Alistair, you are absolutely correct that the CVR and FDR are on the most critical electrical bus that has engine power, battery power and ram air turbine power for maximum redundancy. I was not very clear in my statements. What I was speaking of was when ALL sources of aircraft side power are lost (such as an event that cuts the power wiring to the aft section of the aircraft where the CVR and FDR reside) there are no internal batteries in the CVR and FDR that will keep them recording. Only the ULB will contain batteries, and they are only for operating the ULB when underwater.

Thanks for making me clarify my statements for accuracy.

It makes sense that there's no internal battery for data storage; if power isn't available, it's likely none of the sensors are going to be giving coherent data anyway. Most of the instruments would be on a primary power bus that also likely supplies power to the recorders.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

From the article I linked to earlier:

It was a long white strip ... about 1.3 metres long and 10cm wide ... 1cm thick and had a few dozen hexagonal screws or rivets on it. There was a small area of blue paint at the centre of the strip,

Could this be a strip off the rudder?

20220327_211021_ek9gw3.jpg

In the past its not the lack of power which causes an issue its it getting power after a crash and it over writing data.

So these days there is logic to stop it recording when, no airspeed, no weight on wheels and no oil pressure on one engine.

A220 records 2 or 25 hours of CVR and 50 hours of FDR.

The CVR does have an independent power system which gives it power to it for 10 mins after the aircraft power goes. But they don't tell pilots what it is.

To be honest we never touch or really ever think about them. We can MEL one of them with a restriction of 3 days or 8 flights but the other needs to be working.

Yes but the debris photo looks like it is more then just a strip of about 1.3 metres long and 10cm wide ... 1cm thick though.
So is that the actual photo?

There is also this photo??

01_rfoaxd.jpg

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

Looks very suspiciously like a wing, elevator or other flight surface. This is not going to be good. So did that cause the descent, or was it the result of the high velocity. Since it was found at the end of the dive's ground track, it may be an indirect result.

A black swan to a turkey is a white swan to the butcher ... and to Boeing.

Looked like a lot of rivets for a winglet, but I can't say I've ever looked that closely at them either. May be the view is too far away, but they look pretty slick.

H & V stabilizers, elevators and rudder. Only semi-close up I can find. I'll go with one of these for now.

A black swan to a turkey is a white swan to the butcher ... and to Boeing.

To clarify, I was talking about the piece located 10km from the main impact site, and I havn't seen any images of it yet. Any identifiable items at the impact site are useful to eliminate pieces that may have departed earlier.

I believe rudder issues are high on the suspect list as a cause for the departure from straight and level flight.

Any identifiable items at the impact site are useful to eliminate pieces that may have departed earlier.

Was about to ask about that, the pictures above is from the crash site at least that is what is sade in some of articles I have found them in.

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

Auxiliary power unit.

Small turbine engine in the tail of the aircraft. Usually the exhaust is a circle at the very last bit of the tail cone.

It has air bleed, hydraulics, and electrical power sources.

There is also a door so they can get into service it.

Google 737 tail cone. I am sure there will be pics of it.

Well with nearly 200 planes grounded until they figure it out in China, sending it to the NTSB to try and retrieve the data has made some sort of sense at least.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back