Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Company paying off student loans 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

redkardz

Mechanical
Feb 24, 2008
US
Hi everyone. I'll soon be graduating with a BSME. I've accumulated alot of debt in student loans over the years and I was wandering how common it is for companies to agree to pay off those loans for engineers. I was never comfortable bringin up the subject during interviews but now that I'm getting offers I would like to bring it up but I need to know what to expect. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the place you need to spend it takes Discover that is;-)

Here in my part of CA different Gas stations seem to have different, shall I say scams.

ARCO (ex BP) don't take credit cards and charge for using debit cards (45C at the mo'). However typically their gas is the cheapest per gallon. For this reason I've now using cash a lot more than I did in my last few years in the UK where I only used it at the Pub mostly.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

I gas at Costco. It's usually at least a few cents cheaper than the ARCO across the street, not counting the 3% I get back with the Costco Amex card. If you're an Executive member, you get an additional 1% back.

The only annoying thing is that the cheapest Costco gas is out of the way to work.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

If you use your debit card as a credit card (the funds are still deducted immediately) there are typically no charges. The store normally pays the fee just as they do when you use a regular credit card. At check out, just select "credit" when using your Visa debit card -no PIN needed.

GT, I'd been led to believe that using debit as credit actually delays it being taken out of your account slightly.

However, this is entirely off topic.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Check out Fideltiy. They offer a checking account that returns ~ 1.75% and make it easy to move extra funds into a money market that does almost 3.5% (currently). The checking comes with a debit card and if you ever pay a fee to withdraw cash... they cover the fee for you...

In any case I try to live by the rule that having alot of cash is never a good investment.... at least in the U.S..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back