Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fixture build and Datum scheme- inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manpreet Singh

Automotive
May 8, 2024
CA
I am attaching a simplified part drawing that I have to make a checking fixture of. Following are my queries:

1. I was thinking of holding the A datums using 4-way locator pins (conical), so both holes are concentric but then I realized if I do that, how would the part touch the B-datum, what are your thoughts on it?
2. The C datum has positional tolerance to it. What would be the pin size to locate C-datum?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2348843e-7471-4243-a2e6-b5c5ff9f94be&file=Datum_structure.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Use pins for Datum A. You can make them coaxial.
Datum B would be the face of what makes datum A.

Datum C simulator diameter will be Hole MMC minus Pos. tol.

Datum_structure_guipgj.jpg

Sorry, since I am new to this. One of my co-workers statement is that C-datum should be constrained with its True Geometric counterpart i.e. Ø5.07 mm pin. What do you think of this statement

The drawing doesn't show the feature control frame that references the 3 datum features, so any suggestions on the size of datum feature simuoator pins are only guesses. Ø5.07 - 0.2 assumes C was referenced at MMB.

Manpreet Singh said:
1. I was thinking of holding the A datums using 4-way locator pins (conical), so both holes are concentric but then I realized if I do that, how would the part touch the B-datum, what are your thoughts on it?

Your holes are concentric by definition.

I agree that you cannot use cones. Your feature-of-size datums are not very accurate. Are your references to Datum[ ]A Regardless of Feature Size (RFS)?

Manpreet Singh said:
2. The C datum has positional tolerance to it. What would be the pin size to locate C-datum?

Look up diamond pins. Your datum[ ]C feature controls rotation only. Your pin needs only to contact the sides of the hole. Otherwise, your Ø0.2 positional tolerace is more than made up for by the +0.5/0 tolerances of your datum[ ]A features.

--
JHG

You said:
Lets say if there is another hole below C Datum hole, referencing the datum features as attached. Then what would be the pin size of C datum.

Still D5.07-0.2 because Datum C is referenced to A|B thus making it MMC minus position.
Also for Datum D, C is RFS, no datum shift allowed.

OP said:
Lets say if there is another hole below C Datum hole, referencing the datum features as attached. Then what would be the pin size of C datum.

Since C is referenced at RMB,
the datum feature simulator for C would be the largest pin that fits in the actual datum feature C hole, while kept at fixed distance from simulated datum axis A and perpendicular to simulated datum plane B. An expanding pin is typically used for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back