Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

interior elements won't deform

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickkuuttila

Mechanical
Jul 19, 2011
US
Hello all,

I am currently running a simulation I use two rigid plates to deform a solder sphere. I have used Abaqus/Explicit to run this simulation and chose a time step small enough to run the simulation in a decent ammount of time.

When I open the odb file a warning pops up that says "Results for the current deformed variable are not available for one or more nodes contained in the model. Deformations at such nodes are assumed to be zero." I looked at the stress contour plot and the entire exterior of the sphere shows the same stress. When I took a cut section view of the sphere I discovered that the interior elements are not deforming with the rest of the sphere and they do not show any values for stress or any other field variables. Below is a youtube video of what I am seeing in the ODB

I am also noticing that the upper plate is stationary when is should be traversing downward to deform the sphere.

Is there anyone out there who has encountered this error before and knows how to fix it? I am relatively new to Abaqus and any help would be greatly appreciated. I have also uploaded a copy of my inp file with this post.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Nick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back