Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Marriage and Work! 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtguy4

Geotechnical
May 14, 2004
CA
We've all heard the joke engineers have a spouse and something on the side...so while they are occupied with eachother the engineer ducks back to the office to get some work done. How many of you engineers out there are going through some "significant other" problems? How many of you....know that even though some of the problems are personal....know for a fact that some of the problems are work....and too much of it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

But when you decide to have kids, that happy equilibrium you found gets upset. Prepare yourself.
It's not fair, but fundamentally, it's not anyone's fault.
It's the great engineer in the sky that made us that way...[smile]

Steven Fahey, CET

But when you decide to have kids, that happy equilibrium you found gets upset. Prepare yourself.
It's not fair, but fundamentally, it's not anyone's fault.
It's the great engineer in the sky that made us that way...smile

Hmm I wasn't aware that men were unable to take care of children for the first 18 years of life. I'll have to let the several I know who have done that that that's a possiblity.

Now, if you want to talk sexism, talk to men who stay home with kids (grin).

SLH

I have a good friend who is a house husband, looking after 3 young kids. Mind you his wife is a lawyer, so they aren't short of a bob or two. Don't know of any female engineers with a house husband.

An experience we got after hiring some new engineers back in the ealry 90's. Three female and one male, all of them young and without children.
This was on a site were there were there had been only males amongts the engineers.
Guess which one that vent on "maternity" leave first?

It was the male.
So nowdays there isn't much of a difference.

"Don't know of any female engineers with a house husband"

Me. Now you do. I prefer not to call him a house husband though - he is a stay at home dad.

Great Thread!
I married an English Major and Librarian by education (she is now a stay at home mom with her own thriving home based business).
While she would laugh at me and deny this, I feel my grammar and writing skills have significantly excelled due to her influence, and I really do apply her organizing skills in my daily work life. I tend to let the organizing slip at home.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back