Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Miami Beach, Champlain Towers South apartment building collapse, Part 08 20

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, I was just killing time, while we are in the terminal waiting period before we receive any new information, or actually some real validated evidence........ [flip]

esplody_hnrdcn.png

esplody1_god2gp.png

Precision guess work based on information provided by those of questionable knowledge

Thermopile (Aerospace) said:
Sorry, I was just killing time

Perfectly fine by me. I was just referring to the codes issues with K&T. But.... it's relevant, because it illustrates the catastrophes that await if you do not update old infrastructure. The notion of the transformer oil catching fire if it did has a bearing on the failure to rescue at least one person. It's not trivial by any means.

I found the mechanical and electrical inspection report where it says they replaced the cast iron sanitary and storm drain pipes in the garage, but did not mention the vertical risers to the units nor the vertical pipes to the roof..... If Garage pipes needing replacing, wonder if vertical pipes and unit horizontal and vertical cast iron drains were source of lots of inside the building water leaks???

So if I remember my MetaPhysics correctly, that means that my crap quickly drops thru the slab under me, and is now in cast iron sanitary drains in the ceiling of the unit below me, on it's way horizontally to the vertical stand pipes in the plumbing chases. Thus same scenario for my neighbor above, except now I am the low man....

I doubt many folks on this forum, have actually worked with yokum and hot lead, to seal the hubs of cast iron sanitary sewer piping....But I would image these joints with building movement would start leaking, and of course cast iron pipe is very brittle.... I see in garage where they used what I call 'No-Hubs' to join the vertical cast iron pipes to the new PVC horizontal runs.

I have never wanted to live in a Condo, and after understanding how expensive it is to maintain a RC building on reclaimed Ocean, it confirms all my fears... To me it reminds of a Frat House, where is someone is having a party, everybody gets to enjoy it, till is over....... [flush2]

I do think there may have been a fire above the garage in the early stages of the collapse, the actor from Argentina mentioned a horrible smell when they got off the elevator entering the Lobby, not while in the garage. Many talk of the thick dust from the collapsing, but within that dust there was smoke too, you can see it billowing out right over the service area. Yes, other fires did start in the garage once the ceiling fell onto cars, but there were various combustibles in that vicinity along with the kitchen being right there too.
Ugh, why don't they come out n say where those tar kettles were found...

Also while looking thru my various garage pics, at closer inspection -

Tunnel3_ki5h6d.png

Am I seeing a wheel in a column?

Demented (Industrial) said:
the city waters have been flooded with chlorine

Other areas of Florida use ozonation to combat the smell of the water from the upper aquifer. By combined chlorine treatment I assume they mean chlorimine. But that kills tropical aquarium fish (which they mention) by itself pretty well and it is harder to remove bound chlorine. Free chlorine is easy to remove. So if they are giving warning to fish keepers about increased free chlorine it must have been a whole lot of it. The issue of chlorimine by itself is already controversial for the damage it does to copper because of it's ammonia content and some authorities add silicates for protection. Otherwise: Pin holes.

It's enough to turn silver and aluminum a dull shade of black in about 30 minutes on the days the system is flushed. It's almost been like pool water, but not quite. There was stupidness about pool water neutralizing covid a year ago.

@Optical98
That's a vehicle rim and tire and the vehicle it's attached to.

There was stupidness about pool water neutralizing covid a year ago.

Why would they think before they act (react)? No reason to start now. They might be more worried about amoebas. I don't think I have heard anything about covid surviving in municipal water supplies. Is that even a thing?

Optical98 (Computer) said:
Am I seeing a wheel in a column?

Yeah, Wheel hit column and knocks away some concrete. Probably happens every other day. More interesting is what it exposed under the surface. What the hell is that? Some kind of prior repair?

Optical98, I think this is tire.... See arrow...
I cannot tell that car actually impacted column as clearance from fender well to tire looks fairly normal? But I can not say it din't hit column either.
Looks more like rear of car than front to me...
Tunnel3_ki5h6d_mpbvic_hxncil.png

I know it's not a picture of a CR-V but it gets the point across.

I see what you are saying with the diagram/markup. Any concrete damage that appears does not have to be from the car. I thought part of the car was appearing as the column itself. My bad. But I did NOT enlarge it so I could see it better. So that is my excuse.

Jeez Demented....that's a chair? And you just happen to know the model of the car too o.o

Markbob needs you on his team.. j/k

I'll meander back to my fire inquiry now...

Zebraso said:
I see what you are saying with the diagram/markup. Any concrete damage that appears does not have to be from the car. I thought part of the car was appearing as the column itself. My bad. But I did NOT enlarge it so I could see it better. So that is my excuse.
All is good. I do a lot of automotive stuff so body lines stick out to me.

The thing I said is a chair though, I'm just guessing. Looks like one of those cheap plastic I need something to stand on chairs. The Supra is definitely a Supra though.

Seriously though, it's a white 2012-2014 CR-V, as can be seen in this photo. Seems to just be parked in it's space.

Thermopile,

Yeah, the shadow line is odd, it's tall for a car. It was the body line (that Demented pointed out) that I was seeing as chipped or broken concrete, and then could not unsee it.

I'm not even on Team "Vehicle rams column" (hypothesis)

Optical98, I saw broken concrete at first too, like a huge chunk was missing from column. BTW, the chair looks like a non-hermitically sealed AC compressor to me......[afro2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back