Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Miami Beach, Champlain Towers South apartment building collapse, Part 14 41

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I couldn't tell the players without a scorecard.
So, I made myself a power-pointy thing based on:
8777-collins-avenue---preliminary-review-plans-for-40-year-re-certification green lama .pdf
Here's a sample:
Mystery_Column_Slide_9_sheet_11_krrr20.jpg

SF Charlie
Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies

Demented (Industrial) said:
Why here, and not under the sections of deck that were in a much poorer state and at more of a risk of collapse?

I hate to suggest this, but perhaps the thinking was that if the pool deck collapsed, the outcome was likely to be some crushed cars. Whereas if supports under the building let go.....

I just cannot wrap my head around why support for the living room would be needed there.
Untitled123_roto3w.png

The resident of that unit has sued in the past for water intrusion due to cracks in the walls that were not properly taken care of by the lovely folks behind the first few concrete restoration/waterproofing projects. I doubt such a litigious resident would have been silent on this matter.

Precision guess work based on information provided by those of questionable knowledge

Hey @SFCharlie, our favorite immature troll was in here the last few days studying our comments and uploaded a very slanderous video mentioning you and I.

HE bad mouths me and other channels yet he keeps on hijacking our videos into his channel for “commentary” to game YouTube ranking algorithm. Then he dupes clowns trolls believing his pied piper nonsense, lies about everybody, calls other engineers names, calls them stupid, called Allyn Killshceimer stupid too, a non-class act.

His video last night he failed to prove what was wrong about my statements here and on the video, he tried to, he looked us all up here on this thread, looked at my video, he looked back on the floor plans and you could hear him growl in frustration cause he could not prove me wrong. And then he moved on to SF Charlie to try to make you look bad figuring you are an easier target. He lies about my Car Buying Tips videos, falsely claiming I covered up stuff to make a dealer look guilty.

He keeps complaining about why he gets no views and why he thinks YouTube has ghosted his channel. How many people do you think are going to keep watching videos when all he does is troll other people's videos and comment on them and whine that it’s not getting any views, and then put up videos of his cat licking himself

You shouldn't have posted the link to his video, why give the clown any fame. He called Allyn Killshceimer stupid. He still lies in his videos about me, saying I put up fake car stickers and covered-up info on the car dealer sticker to prove my point in a video. All I did was blur out the name of the dealer to protect them from embarrassment. He watches 3 seconds of someone's video, then lies about them. He is not important enough to give him an audience.

He keeps stealing our ideas here. He posted a video today showing the exact same analysis I did to prove where the H-Beam was, then tells people I'm not worth mentioning and that he does not bother watching my videos. Yet he keeps hijacking them to make his videos, LOL.

Then he sends all his minions over to leave rude nasty comments on my videos.

not even close to being any type of professional. Just an evil-hearted person.

Demented said:
He likes you Nukeman

Whoa, that scatterbrained moron's videos are painful to watch. I think I started to watch one of his vids once but couldn't have lasted more than about 5 minutes.
From what I could tell he was wrong about 75% of the time but it was so hard to follow his "train of thought". And then he couldn't even read our names right. Certainly not on my Christmas list.

Jeff, doesn't youtube have some kind of conflict resolution process that you could use?

Demented, I agree you should consider removing the link, you can report your own post and I think will make it be gone.

Sometimes you just have to ignore the man yelling at the pigeons, even if an ounce of sense occasionally leaks out.

I've removed the link. The man is a bumbling idiot whom I'm sure most of you can find from that description. At least those of you who've been around these parts for a few years. Either way, I really don't think this is the place for this. Just report the dude on youtube and move on. And who cares if someone comes here and steals ideas on anything. Only awards I see here are silly pink stars that mean nothing, not youtube popularity awards, so why bother caring? Let him yell at his pigeons.

Wow, that was a bit uncomfortable seeing our commentaries on YT... and I have no idea what his point was besides his affinity and adoration for "nukum", lmao!

Optical98 said:
that was a bit uncomfortable seeing our commentaries on YT... and I have no idea what his point was..

I agree and it seems that his only point was trolling and self promotion.
Being known for a bit of trolling myself, perhaps I should try to keep that in check...somewhat...

Sig lines are for trolls.

I watched that guy only because he was one of the few discussing the collapse on youtube. He's a narcissist, If you say something about the collapse he disagrees with you then he calls you a moron and a fraud. If you say something about the collapse he agrees with then he accuses you of poaching him. No wonder he only gets along with cats.

Also that "magic column" got there during or after the collapse. The hole in the floor filled with sand/dust when it flooded, that's why the slab looks intact. Nobody came and built an extra column. End of discussion.

@reverse Bias, if it did impale from above, I have asked 100 different commenters on my video about this, why is there no damage on the floor? There should be some type of cracks or crater or something, but there is noting right up to the rebar as far as I can tell.

Jeff Ostroff said:
...why is there no damage on the floor? There should be some type of cracks or crater or something, but there is noting right up to the rebar as far as I can tell.

There is simply not enough conclusive evidence to prove nor disprove the impact theory.
I'll just point out a few things we can probably agree on:
The demolition crew mentioned that when drilling for their charges the concrete seemed very soft.
The aggregate used was a local limestone that is relatively soft.
The rebar that impacted may not have needed to penetrate very deep to remain in place.
None of the pictures that we have access to show a close up of this area so it seems premature to claim that there is zero damage to the floor.
What we have here is a total lack of applicable pixels. Water/sand/dust obscure our view.
Let it go until more evidence comes in.

Jeff Ostroff (Electrical)11 Nov 21 00:13 said:
our favorite immature troll was in here the last few days studying our comments and uploaded a very slanderous video
I wish I had realized it was only "Construction Engineering & Analysis" ( & Wedding Photography ) , I wouldn't have bothered...
(I doubt he's a licensed "Construction Engineering" or ever was or even has the qualifications)

SF Charlie
Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies

The column planting itself there theory doesn't work for me. I ~might~ be able to believe that under certain circumstances a column falling end first with its rebar sticking out of it could push the rebar into the floor slab. But, I have a very hard time believing that the column could then break apart off the rebar (or be broken off the rebar during then clean up and demolition) leaving all the rebar sticking out of the floor as if it was purposely concreted into the floor.

I too would say it's been beaten to death already like most other topics so drop it until some better evidence is released.

Ethics among Professionals.

I chased one guy away from here for what I considered to be unethical behavior. He was an actual Engineer with Youtube videos and his first post here was bashing another Youtube Engineer and promoting his own videos. Then he bashed me on another website instead of engaging me here. I never engaged him on that website and I eventually banned myself from there and the other guy stopped posting here. It doesn't always work out that way.

This is an open forum and there are no requirements for anyone to prove they have Engineering credentials and anyone on the internet can read our posts. Most of the real Engineers are staying away and waiting for the official reports to come out. They are not engaging in pointless speculation. Most of the guys still posting are trying to understand what happened and filling in time with humor in between the tiny bits of information from news reports.

People with no ethics will try every trick they can think of to drag you into their own drama and move the discussion to other locations where they feel they have the advantage of sympathetic minions. We don't need that here. Often the best way to deal with those people is to make your point very clearly and then totally ignore them. If they show signs of returning to civil discussion I am usually open to a normal discussion. This latest drama should not continue. We know who is the problem and I seldom waste my time on Youtube anyway.

We can't clean up the cesspool that parts of Youtube are becoming but we can all do our part in improving the way we treat each other here.
Don't take yourself too seriously, no one else does. Your ego doesn't matter to others.
Understand that if you don't apply some logic to your ideas, someone will point out the flaws.
Be willing to accept that you may be wrong.
When someone points out flaws in your ideas, don't take it personally.
Try to help others understand what happened from an Engineering aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back