Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Miami Beach, Champlain Towers South apartment building collapse, Part 17 14

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Linked video is a local station's story about the mother and daughter that survived falling on top of the rubble. The beginning recounts their actions and how they ended up where they did.

Link

Thanks, @Debirlfan. This video has a novel animation that shows both the north side of CTS and unit 904, and also the interior of unit 904. I am still listening to it, but so far I haven’t heard anything that would cause a Timeline update.

One Button Could Have ‘Saved More Lives’ in Florida Condo Collapse (this is an archived version, so no subscription required)

The NYT has the depositions and the security system logs, and we finally have an interview with a witness from 309 who actually saw the deck collapse in progress, collapsing from south to north. They also interviewed Shamoka Furman. There are some time stamps from the security log, including a Trouble code at 1:15:29, which may give us an accurate time for the deck collapse. The system logged a fire alarm at 1:15:46, which may be the lobby pull switch. If that’s the case, then Shamoka Furman is likely to have pulled it. Shamoka’s first 911 call was logged at 1:16:27. The 911 call from Central Alarm Control was logged at 1:16:39.

Here are highlights of the new information: [ul]
[li]“…Paolo Longobardi (309) on the third floor. Thunder, he thought. But his wife, Anastasiya, had heard something more unsettling: an unnatural, metallic crunch. The two of them, groggy with sleep, peered out the sliding glass door of their bedroom overlooking the pool. Below them, the pool deck was caving in. “It was disappearing into the ground,” Mr. Longobardi said. “It was like a wave coming from the right to the left — from the south to the north — and it was falling.”” NOTE: A long time ago, one of the witnesses in the lobby (it may have been Chani Nir…I’ll see if I have it in my notes…) mentioned seeing a family escape…this may be that family.[/li]
[li]Jonah Handler and Stacie Fang (1002,) having heard the “thunderous bang” of the deck collapse, went out on their balcony to see what had happened. They thought the sound was from above, but they looked up and didn’t see anything. So they went back inside to the bedroom, which is where they were when the building collapsed. [/li]
[li]“Around that time, the building’s alarm system was starting to activate, first at 1:15:29 a.m., when it signaled “trouble,” according to a data log. Seventeen seconds later, a fire alarm triggered. It sent out an automated alert to a monitoring company, though it is not clear that it generated an audible alarm on any floor. Soon after, a staff member at the monitoring company notified 911 that a fire alarm had been activated at Champlain Towers.“[/li]
[li]“The building also had a sophisticated audio warning system designed to broadcast an alert into the bedrooms of every unit. But it was never triggered, newly available deposition testimony and interviews show, because the security guard had never been trained about the system and the single button needed to activate it. “If I had known about it, I would have pressed it,” the security guard, Shamoka Furman, said in an interview.” “Ms. Furman, who had been a Champlain Towers security guard for four months, said in an interview that she received minimal training when she was hired, with another security guard explaining the contours of the job while they stood for an hour in the lobby. She said she never learned about the “all call” button. The other guard declined to comment.”[/li]
[/ul]

I will update the Timeline accordingly.

>>>>>Edit: I just caught another new detail. As Ileana Monteagudo (611) left, she apparently turned off the light. “being careful to turn off the lights behind her.”

>>>>>Edit: I can’t tell what woke up the Longobardis (“thunder”) in enough time to get out of bed, get to the window, and look out to see the deck collapse in progress. Could it have been the loud crash at 1:10 that we know Shamoka Furman heard in the lobby and the Nirs heard in 111? The Longobardis describe the actual deck collapse as sounding like “an unnatural, metallic crunch.” So what did Jonah Handler and his late mom Stacie Fang hear that made them go out to their balcony? They thought it came from above, and Jonah didn’t mention hearing car alarms, as Ileana Monteagudo did, even though she didn’t hear the deck collapse itself other than as a “supernatural force” that woke her up. Is it also possible that Jonah and his late mom heard the loud crash at 1:10, went inside 1002, and didn’t even hear the deck collapse from that side of the building? After all, the Gonzalezes didn’t hear the deck collapse in 904…it was the shaking of the building that got them going.

MaudSTL I noticed on that drone video of invasive testing they show several very large square holes where they have cut out the foundation for very invasive tests on the garage floor/foundation slab. Several large square holes have been cut.

I noticed that 3 large cuts appear around the M9.1/M10.1 area columns, with cutouts completely engulfing these 3 columns, each i=one in the center of its own cutout. Here are the 3 columns:

1) M9.1/10 column for Space #27.
2) L9.1/10 column for Space #77
3) L11.1 column that divides spaces 77/76

As you might recall from my videos last July, I had stated that either M11.1 or L11.1 was the first column to fail, and showed that on my chart of the garage mapped with puddles that I found on Fiorella's garage walk-through video.

I find it interesting that NIST chose these 3 columns to start the invasive testing, and many times in the past when they were still on site, I always saw them in groups huddled around M11.1 and M9.1/10.

Just heard the 911 call on Building Integrity's latest video - the security guard sounds like an idiot. I don't even know how the 911 operator was going to make sense of the call. And didn't pull the pull stations. Great communication.

I am here at the sight of the Champlain tower's South condo collapse today for the memorial it's going to start momentarily. Here are a couple of photos I just shot of what the site looks like today and what they have going on here. In one of my photos you can see I zoom in to where they started the advasive testing on the floor with the squares around the 3 columns that I mentioned last night. Also they started cutting long rectangular holes in the South wall.

Security here is off the charts just to get into the property itself my camera bag was checked twice by 2 separate secret service agents commanders dozens and dozens of cops here there's probably at least 4 dozen media tents and trucks and trucks and live towers set up I'm in a pool area back here What about a 100 other media people.
20220624_083152_h2qnqd.jpg

20220624_091645_lkhkgb.jpg

20220624_091653_if7a9c.jpg

20220624_091946_eoevuk.jpg

20220624_091953_cc0fgd.jpg

I am sitting next to the pool now during the remembrance event. There is one view of the Eastern most column of the pool wall in case you're still looking for photos near the pool wall.
20220624_110838_hzzhcn.jpg

Read all of the threads. Doesn't change the fact how they sound on the actual call audio. Didn't even provide a full address or really answer any questions.

Maudstl said:
“It was like a wave coming from the right to the left — from the south to the north — and it was falling.””
That is new info. Seems to imply the deck collapse started at or near the perimeter wall since that is the south end.
Also implies the deck didn't drop in unison for there to be a noticeable wave.

@stcbus, if you’ve read the thread, then you would know about Shamoka Furman’s activities.

Timeline
[ul]
[li]01:10 A loud crash in the lobby sounds like it came from the elevator shaft.[/li]
[li]01:15:29 The fire alarm system logs Trouble as the deck collapses loudly, followed by rumbling.[/li]
[li]01:15:49 The pull switch in the lobby is activated and the system logs Fire, which triggers the monitoring system.[/li]
[li]01:16:27 Aborted 911 call with yelling in background. NOTE: This is the call Josh Porter chose to feature in his video.[/li]
[li]01:16:39 Central Alarm Control calls 911.[/li]
[li]01:17:06 Aborted 911 call.[/li]
[li]01:17:34 Aborted 911 call.[/li]
[li]01:17:49 911 call to report the emergency and the address. NOTE: Josh Porter chose NOT to use this call in his video.[/li]
[li]>01:17:49 Makes calls to individual residents to tell them to evacuate.[/li]
[li]01:22 Building collapses.[/li]
[li]01:26 Helps Ileana Monteagudo (611) and a family of four escape from the garage.[/li]
[li]01:28 Presents herself to assist the police.[/li]
[/ul]

>>>>>Edit: Here is the 1:17:49 911 call via the Miami Herald.<<<<<<

Discussion

Fire alarm system log and monitoring 01:15:29-01:16:39:
01:15:29 Logs Trouble. This is probably when the deck collapsed. In the lobby, it was a very loud crash followed by rumbling, dust, and car alarms. All they could see from the lobby was cars sticking up out of an “abyss.”
01:15:46 Logs Fire from the activation of the lobby pull switch. Josh claims Shamoka failed to activate it, but she is the only person who could have done so. This is the alarm that triggered monitoring to call 911.
01:16:39 Central Alarm Control calls 911.

Four 911 calls 01:16:27-01:17:49:
Josh deliberately chose to scapegoat Shamoka Furman by not using the 911 call at 01:17:49, wherein Shamoka provides an accurate address and description of the emergency. This is after three aborted 911 calls (01:16:27, 01:17:06, and 01:17:34) where we can hear panicky residents screaming conflicting instructions at her as she tried to get the correct address. The Nirs were telling her to call it an earthquake. Shamoka called it an explosion downward. No one knew what had happened.

Calls to residents 1:18-1:22:
After activating the fire alarm at 01:15:46 and making the 911 calls at 01:16:27, 01:17:06, 01:17:34, and 01:17:49, Shamoka Furman starts calling individual residents to tell them to evacuate.

Building collapses at 1:22:
The north part of the lobby, not far from the security desk, collapses into the garage. Shamoka is only a few feet away from the collapse, and the darkened lobby is filled with dust and acrid smells. The front door is locked for lack of power. She has no idea what has happened.

Escapes and guides survivors 1:22-1:27:
Shamoka tries to escape through the valet window, but the porte-cochere has collapsed and is blocking her way. She re-enters the lobby and exits to find the the collapsed deck. Climbing down to the garage level, she encounters Ileana Monteagudo (611) and helps her climb out at 01:26. Shamoka then encounters a family of four and helps them escape from the garage level.

Assists police 1:28:
Shamoka climbs out of the garage and presents herself to assist the police at 1:28. Her injuries include cracked ribs and bruises; she has to use crutches in the following days.

Reverse_Bias said:

Isn’t that how fast punching shear progresses? To the ear, it could sound like one big crash even though to the eye is progresses like a wave.

There is some new information there. Thanks for the link Maud. We should be careful about taking statements that may have been given some time after the event as being accurate in every detail, however:

- 611 did turn off her light, that explains that. Still no-one's asked her which wall the crack was in though!
- Multiple statements that there was no audible alarm (or visible strobe? you'd think 611 would have mentioned that if it was going when she left her apartment)
- Confirmation that the all call didn't happen because it was manually operated and that didn't happen
- 309 - that "wave from south to north" testimony is, imo, also compatible with an initial collapse at K14.1 - that would have propagated to the south wall by the time they got to the balcony, and the main effect would still be a northwards propagation towards the building. But I don't think it's compatible with a collapse initiating around M11.1 as we originally thought.

Re invasive testing:

- Yes it is interesting that they chose to test columns around L/M 9.1-11.1. Those columns certainly played an important role in the collapse sequence. That doesn't necessarily mean NIST think it started there though.

Reverse_Bias said:
Yes, that is expected for propagating punching through (or any kind of failure propagation really). There would be continuous noise over a few seconds as it happened.

That does bring me back to how interesting it is that stacks K and L seem to fail simultaneously - as if the deck pulls away that support beam or something as a single action that puts them both into failure as part of the same event.

Ed: Also watched Building Integrity's video but there's not any new information there, it's just a sum-up. Though I do agree (and I see you waded into the cesspit of Youtube comments to say so there as well) that his selection of 911 call audio is unfair.

MaudSTL said:
Isn’t that how fast punching shear progresses? To the ear, it could sound like one big crash even though to the eye is progresses like a wave.
Yes as I've been assuming that but none of the witnesses really gave a good indication. 309 would have had a pretty good view of the k line planters and everything east. Maybe the edge of the parking deck also if they went out on their balcony, which it doesn't sound like they did. Wondering how they didn't give a public statement for a year.

Apt309_wvoonr.png

Red Corona said:
Yes, that is expected for propagating punching through (or any kind of failure propagation really). There would be continuous noise over a few seconds as it happened.

That does bring me back to how interesting it is that stacks K and L seem to fail simultaneously - as if the deck pulls away that support beam or something as a single action that puts them both into failure as part of the same event.
IKLM fell almost at exactly the same time, at least on the floors visible in the video. That does make the initiation point hard to pinpoint. Maybe the drop beam was still connecting them causing them to move as one?

Ok I’ll give the extra call. However every second and minute counted and it was just irresponsible to not complete the call. And I’m unsure about her doing the pull station because I thought that was half the reason the firm paid so much? Or she didn’t pull it properly where it handles the entire building (or a voice announcement). Not that it’s actually her fault the building fell, but I still expect more competence from an employee tasked with safety. Everyone should.

stcbus said:
Ok I’ll give the extra call. However every second and minute counted and it was just irresponsible to not complete the call. And I’m unsure about her doing the pull station because I thought that was half the reason the firm paid so much? Or she didn’t pull it properly where it handles the entire building (or a voice announcement). Not that it’s actually her fault the building fell, but I still expect more competence from an employee tasked with safety. Everyone should.

1) It is quite difficult to complete a call with others yelling conflicting information. No one knew at the time if it was an explosion or earthquake or something else.
2) Pull stations don't have the capability to select "all call".
3) No employee should be expected to perform above the level of their training. Securitas paid because they neglected to provide that training.

[sub]
[/sub]​

Red_Corona said:
- 611 did turn off her light, that explains that. Still no-one's asked her which wall the crack was in though!
You’re right. I have seen nothing to tell us which wall cracked.

- Multiple statements that there was no audible alarm (or visible strobe? you'd think 611 would have mentioned that if it was going when she left her apartment)
There is actually an explicit comment in one of the recent interviews where Ileana Monteagudo says the sixth floor hallway was perfectly silent when she exited her apartment, as if the building was vacant. She paused to knock on her neighbor’s door and got no response. Then she proceeded to the staircase.

>>>>>Edit: From the NYT “One Button” piece:

“Out in the hallway, Ms. Monteagudo, who had moved into the complex six months earlier, was struck by how quiet things were. She assumed that the units around her were largely vacant. There was no alarm.

“There was silence,” she said. “There was no movement. Nothing. I thought the building was empty.”“<<<<<

- Confirmation that the all call didn't happen because it was manually operated and that didn't happen
Yes, it was a separate button that she was unaware of. Apparently her training back in February consisted of a one-hour stand-up orientation by another security guard who remains unnamed.

Here's a pool picture I shot yesterday at the one-year anniversary of the Champlain towers South condo collapse remembrance. Interesting shot of the pool you'll notice the two giant square holes to the left of the O.1 column marking on the wall where they've already started the invasive testing. I'm working on the video for all of this and there are so many holes everywhere that they have started to slice and dice all over the property.

Core Samples were taken from H-BEAM!

For the invasive testing, they've already created a whole bunch of round core sample holes in the H-beam! They've also put numerous core sample holes on the wall of the garage ramp. And there are several square holes cut out of the South wall and the north wall of the property. You'll see all of my close-up detail photos once I have the video done hopefully tomorrow night.

invasive_testing_slides_y6erjc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back