Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pipeline Pressure Loss 14

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On the bridge event, Russian intelligence FSB has provided some very specific details about the individuals they believe responsible and the method
CNN said:
“The explosive device was concealed in rolls with polyethylene construction film on 22 pallets with a total weight of 22,770 kilograms,” the FSB report added, RIA Novosti also reported.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Well and the suspected truck have one wheel axel to little. [ponder]

1NySk%C3%A4rmklipp_kngbyx.jpg

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

Separate subjects. Separate threads.

This one needs split anyway. Getting cumbersome.

My opinion:)

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Russia is not saying it can supply gas to Europe through nordstream 2 as one section apparently wasn't blown up.

It would be utterly bizarre if they blew up nord1 just to force Germany to license nord2.

But it wouldn't surprise me.

Regarding the repair - if politics allow - of the pipeline. It will be done in much the same manner as the different sections of the pipeline were connected originally.

The 1,200km pipe wasn't installed in a single operation, instead three sections were installed and then connected subsea (the three sections had different wall thicknesses to account for the reducing pressure along the length of the pipe.

Below is an illustration of the process.
Screenshot_20221018_150358_ly44wi.png

Can't tell anything from those snippets and no idea where they've got 50m from. 5m of damage maybe... Tension might make it move a little, but not 50m.

Also they have no clue about pipeline design. The concrete is weight coating only with minimal reinforcement which is only there to hold the concrete together when they spray it and stop it falling off as they flex the pipe over the stinger and when it lays itself down on the seabed.. Does nothing in terms of pressure retention or "strength". the concrete does help it avoid damage from fishing etc, but that's not its primary purpose.

I would be very surprised if the pipeline wasn't built as a single string. Wall thickness varies due to any number of reasons, but agree they have a reducing pressure which they have used to their advantage. You just have a transition piece or transition pipe which is machined to give a smaller wt one end compared to the other.

What you show is a rather theoretical picture of a sectional pipeline repair, which is probably one of the ways they are looking at. You can also use mechanical high pressure connectors and bolting to avoid having to do welding subsea which is possible, but still really hard, especially when the pipe is full of water.....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

The pipeline completely severed with 100 bar pressure. I would not be surprised if it whipped around like a fire hose which would explain such a large displacement.

SSCon,

Fair enough, they did indeed do it in three lengths due to the enormous length of the line, but it isn't common.

I am still trying tot work out how they weld a pipeline which is full of water, even if you have a pressurised welding habitat.

The bit they don't say is that each of the original sections had a laydown head attached which sealed the pipeline. You don't have such a think on the broken ends of the current pipeline, but you still need to insert a plug into each end to seal it off in the welding chamber. It is a bit vague on what happens to the welding plugs...

The attached has the same but in more detail if anyone is interested.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2bffd553-983f-4ec5-937a-1df66059ece6&file=underwater-tie-ins_19_20120327.pdf
Interestingly these pipes of 3 different wall thicknesses have a constant 1153mm ID.
The same picture appears in the documentation on Nordstream Pipeline's website.
A short pamphlet "Connecting the Pipelines".

They will most likely install stopples through a "hot tap fitting" on both sides of the repair. Do the weld, then withdraw the stopples.

I saw somewhere at least one damaged point was a large "hole" in the pipeline. Probably something a bit longer than the 48"diameter.

Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

LittleInch said:
Can't tell anything from those snippets and no idea where they've got 50m from.

They got it from Expressen one of Swedens two largest and oldest evening newspapers.
They do sell newspapers on big head lines, but in this case it is there own videos and they did get permission to film it, so I am guessing 50 meters isn't far from it, also explains why there where 2 "fountains" and they where about 15 meters in height so it might be correct. [ponder]

Sk%C3%A4rmklipp_mndjn9.jpg

Expressen said:
SOUTHERN BALTIC SEA. The explosions that have escalated the geopolitical conflict between Russia and the West took place here.

At the bottom, 80 meters below the surface of the Baltic Sea, Expressen films the ruptured gas pipelines in Nord Stream 1.

Our underwater camera documents long tears in the seabed before it reaches the concrete-reinforced steel pipe torn apart in the suspected sabotage.

At least fifty meters of the gas line appears to be missing after the explosion, which measured 2.3 on the Richter scale.

Albert Einstein

If anyone have a slow day, I recommend that you take a bag of spaghettis take one, hold it in each end and then bend it to see where it brakes.
If anyone can brake one into two pieces I will buy you a beer. [cheers]

Sk%C3%A4rmklipp_zekp39.jpg

And for the picture not cheer but shear. ;-)

Albert Einstein

What happens with penne pasta at 100barg [ponder]
Are the seabottom scars from an anchor drag?
Might be construction artifacts.
Where is the 50m of damaged pipe. Why is that not being shown?

Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

just to note it's not your normal sea environment the sea is dead below about 15 meters hardly any O2 in the water. Lumps of ferrous recovered from 100 years ago just need a bit of a polish and they look like new.

That will make someone optimistic. Maybe some billionaire rap singer will buy it.

:)

Some questions on the assumption that 50 meters of pipe is "missing".

1. What kind of explosives would be able to incinerate 50 meter of steel pipe, with such a clean cut edge?

2. How large a vessel would you need to ripe of 50 meter of steel pipe?
2.1. Would you get such a clean cut edge then?
2.2. Would it rupture in two places?
2.3. Would you get such a big recorded exclusive big bang then?
2.4. Could you do it without pulling the vessel down before the rupture.

3. Could a detonation on the side of the pipe bend it until it ruptures in two places "like a spaghetti straw"?
3.1. Without making a hole in the pipe?
3.2 Or by making a hole?

I do think they will find the missing pipe, maybe the prosecutors office already have taken it or the Danes.
I don't think it went Puff!! Gone!! [bomb]

3Sk%C3%A4rmklipp_im0rfs.jpg

Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back