Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pipeline Pressure Loss 14

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Anyone that can explain this phenomena then?

1NySk%C3%A4rmklipp_lm9ia0.jpg

This is the frame before everything goes white it looks like someone is pulling a rollerblind down, but it goes from down to up instead.

And at 0.21 the camera shakes the first time befor that it is quite still from 0.18 although there is a lot of light and flames and water flying around. [ponder]

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

Could also just be the difference between the speed of light and speed of the shockwave.

That frame showing the bar of light at the bottom, with all the vehicles intact is pretty conclusive that this wasn’t a truck bomb, IMO.

FYI. Selected parts.

PUBLISHED TODAY 3:38 PM SVT said:
Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson praises the Swedish authorities' work with the Nord Stream leaks - and dismisses Russian demands for transparency in the investigation.

Russia has on several occasions requested access to the Swedish investigation into the incident, something Sweden has so far rejected. Last week, such a demand was made in a letter to the Swedish government.

- In Sweden, pre-trial confidentiality prevails. We are working on exactly how we formulate the answer, says Andersson about Russia's request.

Albert Einstein

Alistair said:
its the different refresh rates between the cameras.

That video is just one camera. [ponder]

SSCon said:
It's just a video compression artifact.

Hmm [ponder] I think I need to call my friend that works with developing program and communication for security cams at Axis Communications AB, it will probably be the fastest way for me to understand that term. :)

Albert Einstein

Okey thanks, the second video from the side is like that.

Not sure the one with the white stripe taken along the road lane is though.

I talked to my friend he sade he thought that it was because the camera reads the pixels row by row like scans it, like an old TV, usually it is done from left to right and from up to down, but it can of course be the opposite.
Which would explain why the line is so straight.

Albert Einstein

These photos are making the rounds today showing the 'explosive device' that was ----previously found during a 2015 pipeline survey---- and later identified as a 'mine clearing' ROV that may or may not have been 'lost' by an unidentified group during training exercises:

!!!To be clear - these images are NOT (to the best of my knowledge) from the current situation!!!

1_hafhhx.jpg
2_bjtikd.jpg

Edit: Text cleanup and speculation removal.

I think it missed a lot of speculation. It's still all over the place.

Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

What’s the planned lifespan for submarine pipelines, BTW? I’m guessing that 20yrs is the bottomline for investors, NordStream1 failed at 12yrs, a little shy. Considering the self-evident hazard of the Baltic environs, and other uncertainties, was this pipe going to last to full term? It is the case that the EU creditors of NS1 were also customers, and now force majeur is wiping the slate. This is conjecture based on the Bloomberg report that Gazprom claims NS2 is operational, in one string. Where did Gazprom get the intell, and how would it be confirmed, other than by 1)the saboteur 2) the Swedes at the crime scene 3) a lucky guess. Short term profit thinking, and 800km pipelines don’t sit well together for insuring best practices.

1503-44 said:
I think it missed a lot of speculation. It's still all over the place.

You haven't seen anything yet. Just wait till people realize one of the rail cars on the Crimea Bridge was a tar kettle.

Factoter said:
What’s the planned lifespan for submarine pipelines, BTW?

It is extremely variable based on numerous factors. However, politics aside - if that is even possible in this case, the Nord Stream 1 had a declared mechanical design life of 50 years for the line and valve appurtenances. I'm unaware of what the design life expectancy of the terminal(s) is or if NS2 had a different design life compared to NS1.

Factoter said:
This is conjecture based on the Bloomberg report that Gazprom claims NS2 is operational, in one string. Where did Gazprom get the intell, and how would it be confirmed,
It would be easy enough to see on the gas pressure in either end, since the pipes where filled up and pressurized even tough there was now flow.
If that has been confirmed by any one else then Gazprom I don't know.

Albert Einstein

The design life was 50 years, no reason to believe it couldn't last longer if properly maintained. It's just a question of politics whether or not the pipelines will be repaired.

The two companies that own them are due to go bankrupt in the not so distant future. And they will be processed in the EU and assets sold.

So there won't be anything to stop the new owner redirecting them in the Baltic sea and bending one into Estonia/Latvia and the Other into Finland if they want.

Which could also be the reason why a none Russian player might have been responsible.

All NS pipelines have leak detection systems. Usually accomplished by comparing pressure readings with input and output meters totaliser and a realtime, transient capable, simulation and analysis program running with a realtime RTU data feed. They knew within a few minutes what lines were leaking and the magnitude and location of each leak.

Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Unexploded ordinance, or critical structure damage, must be ruled out beforehand that the NS2 B-string is actually sound. There also remains the black cloud of repeat aggression.
Regarding corrosion and maintenance; I see not only the pipe and coating, but the method of install were redesigned and upgraded, so what were the lessons learned in 12yrs? The Russians were never ending experts, and this is particularly large scale.

Sides can sonar is quite adept at locating this stuff and all nearby ordinance at the time of installation was cleared. I can't see any reasonable probability that three pipelines were naturally damaged by any process or installation error, especially when simultaneously damaged in widely separated locations. ZERO. I already estimated such as a Min probability of 100 million to 1, max 1 billion to one. [fish2] Red herring. [fish2] of a natural occurrence.

Today Putin answered this question at the RU Energy Week Forum: (27.5 BCM-year)

Russia is prevented from participating in the investigation of gas pipeline incidents, Putin said. "I regret saying we are not allowed to survey [the remaining] string but pressure is maintained [in it]," he noted. "Pressure is kept, meaning that it is in the operable condition, to all appearance," the President said.

Not sure if that was a quote or not?
But he is is misleading when he says that "Russia is prevented from participating in the investigation of gas pipeline incident".
Everyone except the Swedish prosecutors office is prevented from participating in the investigation.
And he is flat out lying, when he says "I regret saying we are not allowed to survey [the remaining] string" they are not, they are allowed to survey it as everybody else.

Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back