Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pittsburgh bridge collapse 32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Let me clarify: I wasn't talking about a bridge with tracks and vehicles side by side on the same structure. If a grade separation was required, the railroad was responsible for the bridge.

That's two round trips on the extension, without the EZ-Pass discount.

bridgebuster said:
Let me clarify: I wasn't talking about a bridge with tracks and vehicles side by side on the same structure. If a grade separation was required, the railroad was responsible for the bridge

Oh. If there was an existing railroad, and there was to be constructed a road with a grade separation over the railroad, the railroad was responsible for the bridge?

I would have thought whoever arrived at the location second pays for the crossing. And that if one party wanted an improvement in that crossing (changing an at-grade crossing to a separation), that party would pay for it.

spsalso

Perhaps, but the railroad operators receives benefits as well, if nothing else than not having to maintain a grade crossing including gates and lights to say nothing of the infrastructure along the tracks required because of the crossing. And then there's the fact that the trains no longer have to slow down nor sound their horn (to the discomfort of the nearby residents) as they approach and pass the grade-level crossing. In our city, they've constructed three underpasses, replacing all but one grade-level crossing, on the mainline track (a double track shared by Amtrak, Metrolink and the freight operators).

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Here is an interesting discussion of funding for Riverside County grade separations:

Link

A quick read shows little railroad money included. The various physical structures (bridges, piers, abutments) involved would appear to be government owned and maintained.

spsalso

Optical98 said:
It's amazing timing that 3 days ago Biden planned this visit to Pittsburgh today.

I am amazed that none of the very smart engineers around here have not made that cause and effect linkage yet.

(That collapsed section is in a deeper state than previously you could even say.)

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

yeah...and if you squint really hard, turn your monitor upside down, and then look out of the window 6 times, the bridge even forms the shape of a Q on the ground...

If I may summarise, as the bus is approaching the east end of the bridge (just prior to the east ends imminant collapse), the west end has already collapsed (behind the bus).

Lawsuits ... make it official that this incident did indeed happen in the USA.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back