Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Raise expected ??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllStructure

Structural
Jan 15, 2007
US
Just to give some background info: the company I work for is a very big consulting company, I have been working for three years and my performance reviews were very good. My dilemma is that I just received my MS in Civil Eng and I was thinking of asking my boss for a raise.
Based on all of your experiences would you recommend that asking for a raise is a good and normal thing to do, or is it out of ordinary????
Does getting a higher education entitle me to a better salary within same company?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IMO a piece of paper has no value to anyone but you (and perhaps the college since they're richer for it) unless it is used.

A waiter doesn't ask for his tip before he's served you and neither should you until you benefit the company for having gained it.

If you are doing the same job yesterday, before the parchment and are doing the same thing tomorrow, why would a raise be expected?

Now if you can show quantitatively to management that your value has increased I say go for it. I have a feeling though you are putting the cart before the horse here.

Today is gone. Today was fun.
Tomorrow is another one.
Every day, from here to there,
funny things are everywhere.

I couldn't tell from your post...Do you mean you've been there for three years and you haven't gotten a single raise yet??

If you have never gotten a raise then you should be jumping up and down on your desk for one unless you were hired in at a grossly high rate. Also, if you have been there for three years and the company hasn't given you a raise then consider looking for a new job.

If you have had a raise and the three year info was just a point of reference, you should still be in the running for a raise or promotion. It doesn't matter what your duties are... Review the average salaries for guys with a BS vs an MS. You can bet they wil hire the new grad off the street with no experience and a MS for more than the guy with a Bs only. good luck

One final point. It is unfortunate but if you review most of the threads along this topic the reality is that most people have to leave a company to get a proper raise.

During your reviews have you made it known to your manager that you are enrolled in a MS program? We have a self appraisal and the last question is "What courses/seminars have you attended/taken since your last review?. So this consideration is rolled into our yearly wage increase.

One final point. It is unfortunate but if you review most of the threads along this topic the reality is that most people have to leave a company to get a proper raise.
I think you will find this to be true.

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 3.0 & Pro/E 2001
XP Pro SP2.0 P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

"Does getting a higher education entitle me to a better salary within same company?"

Not really, but your value is based on what others will pay. Obviously your CV now says 'master in...' so presumably someone out there will pay you more.
Go ask for the raise, and if your company says no, go shopping.

At some companies, yes - a Master's degree is an automatic promotion and raise. At some, no. It depends on the company.

If your goal is to get a raise, then ask for one.

If your goal is to determine if an automatic raise is given by the company, I suggest you talk to your HR.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

""GrimesFrank (Mechanical)
7 Jun 07 14:20
IMO a piece of paper has no value to anyone but you (and perhaps the college since they're richer for it) unless it is used.

A waiter doesn't ask for his tip before he's served you and neither should you until you benefit the company for having gained it.

If you are doing the same job yesterday, before the parchment and are doing the same thing tomorrow, why would a raise be expected?

Now if you can show quantitatively to management that your value has increased I say go for it. I have a feeling though you are putting the cart before the horse here. ""

Frank I feel you have a horrible point of view and can tell that you are not on any management level.

I don't know if anyone had noticed this or if I am possibly missing something:

Simply put, many jobs require you to perform the same tasks day in and day out. Upon mastering those tasks and developing your skills aren't you ready for some type of promotion?

To the OP:
If you are good at your job and are looking for more responsibility by all means ask your boss for a promotion/raise. Also, if you havent been receiving cost of living pay increases, you need to get your head out of a hole and go market yourself elsewhere.

Joe
Project Engineer

I remember many years ago a comment made by my young boss:

Why should I be paid more year on year if my job has not change? ie I am doing the same thing.

working for 5 years means 1 year experience multiplied by 5 times and not 5 year experience......capici?

Most companies will pay more for a MS vs. a BS. Unfortunately, unless your company has a procedure for this, the chances of you getting a raise for completing your MS are pretty slim. Without knowing your company, I could probably say with 95% accuracy that you will not get a raise unless you ask for it. Even asking is maybe a 50-50 chance because your current boss probably does see that you are doing the same daily job you were doing before you got the diploma. What he may not have been able to discern is how your daily work improved by the classes you just took every week over the last few years.

The sad fact is you will probably need to look at another company to get any kind of meaninful raise out of your hard-earned Masters degree. Then, if you really like your current company, you could probably come back in a few years for another big raise...

This is a more tricky question than it sounds as only you know the politics at your company. How do you feel your boss would respond if you ask him for a raise because you now have a master's degree? If you think he will be responsive, ask. If you think he will get irate, quietly look elsewhere. Good luck!

StructuralEIT-

Why not? If they paid for it, that must mean they value it.

AllStructure-
The bottom line is, you are now a more attractive prospect to other companies, so your company needs to either (1) give you a raise (2) be prepared to lose you.

Automatic raise? How do they even know you got the degree? Did they read it in the newspaper? You need to ask.

As for the value: hell yes it's worth something. It means he's more employable and his company had better pony up if they expect to keep him (they may decline, but that's a different matter). I'd have to agree with projectJOE that GrimesFrank doesn't know what he's talking about in this instance.

-b

Once I read that companies spend significantly much more resources (manpower, investment, offers, promotions, etc.)trying to get new clients than to retain the actual ones (on top of my head I recall something between 5-8 times, but I am not sure).
With HR they do the same. They will only value your MS if they are considering you for a higher position. Then you can expect a significant raise. If you stay in the same desk, performing the same work, then don't expect anything or just a "lollipop" raise.

Getting the MSc is a personal goal and will play throughout your career. It is an investment of time and effort that will gain traction over time. It's what you do with your qualification that counts, do you apply it or does it go into the bottom drawer.

There can be a 'uh-oh' moment when they know you got your MSc and a 'Doh! What should we do' period. I would counsel concentrating on the job and be patient. Look for the finiancial increase in change of responsibility or company grade; that will give them 'face'. In any case, your boss should recognise your achievement and tell you what the plan is, you should find doors open and people inviting, a measure of respect. The financials will follow. If they're clueless, I agree in most instances you need to move on to get the raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back