Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Structural data for wood in wood frame building

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline12

Aerospace
Jan 27, 2011
US
Not being in this field, I do not have many resources for wood structures data to apply to a new structure. Will be constructing a wood pole style building and need to design for live loading. can anyone offer any links or resources for this data?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

fastline,

best to get yourself a good structural engineer (the building type not the aeronautical type) we are cheap compared to you guys!.

Is this for home? It seems there was a similar thread a few weeks ago, or months. If it is for home then start with NDS, ASCE and Beyer's Wood Structures text. If it is commercial, hire someone.

There are days when I wake up feeling like the dumbest man on the planet, then there are days when I confirm it.

Yes, this is for home use. I was going to design it and then have the design blessed by someone more competent to make sure I don't miss anything. In looking at how some buildings are done, I just do not like them. Maybe the aerostructures side of me just wants to do things different.

One thing that will require some work is the roof trusses since we want to use a scissor type truss over a large span. I suspect it will have to be a hybrid with steel in it but we have built them before with no issues. Our county accepts anything that is stamped so it would really be on us that the structure is sound.

"...it would really be on us that the structure is sound."

Let's hope that doesn't happen as your comments would be missed. Get a structural engineer.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

If it is a residential wood frame type home, the attached would be a good starting point for the basics. They ( also have other free downloads on housing.

Garth Dreger PE - AZ Phoenix area
As EOR's we should take the responsibility to design our structures to support the components we allow in our design per that industry standards.

One of the neatest structures I've seen was a shed build by a Certified Welder. This guy had 20+ years in the field and built his "tool shed" (it was 30'x60') out of the scrap steel he purchased from his boss. It took him 5 years to get enough material to build his shed. It was a pole frame structure, consisting of W8x24's as the poles, C6's as the gurts and rafters with a double C6 as the rafter beam and L3x3x1/4 for cross bracding. The whole thing was covered with corrigated metal deck. I can't remember the thickness. All welded connections with exception to the "poles" they were augered 48" into the ground with concrete. The county he lived in, only required a drawing (formal) by an architect, which he paid for by doing some trade work. I asked how he did the engineering, he replied: Blogget's book.

There are days when I wake up feeling like the dumbest man on the planet, then there are days when I confirm it.

Check with your local wood truss mfg. They can get you preliminary roof drawings.

Find a local Pole or Post Frame builder. They can be helpful

Go to the NFPA website - National Frame Builders

Go to APAwood web site

Finally, hire an engineer who is familiar w/ type of structure. We can be informative and inventive. Done it for about 30 years.

I, too, have often thought this would be an economical house solution! Based on size the shell can be as cheap as $10/sq ft!!

Add a concrete slab and some interior walls and you got it.

The American Wood Council and Southern Pine council have free downloadable guides to get you familiar with the design and details. Also, a discontinued textbook by Hoyle and Woeste has a chapter on this type of design. The Wood Handbook may have something. It is available as a free download from the Forest Products Lab.

Jason A. Partain, P.E.

Thanks for all the info guys. After reading my post, I should probably clarify that I was not looking for design help as much as just wood properties. Used to working with Al and steels and not familiar with wood properties as much. I am not too concerned of building a sound structure with the right data at hand but I will probably throw a few design thoughts through here for any thoughts. The building will be in tornado alley so we really have to keep that in mind in the design.

If the building is in tornado alley, I would think it would be mandatory for a qualified SE to do the design.

Will there be a "safe room"? I haven't done any designs in tornado land but realizing the huge wind velocities, flying debris, and low air pressure tending to "explode" closed structures, and the design of building structures being less accurate and predictable than aerospace structural design, I would hire a SE.

At any rate, a free resource is attached (it is a large .pdf file), but keep in mind this is not complete such as the NDS.

Ooops sorry - the pdf attachment ran into an error, won't upload - it was that Wood Council NDS code update seminar.

I may find an URL later.

BTW - No building meeting IBC 2009 will handle an F4 or F5 tornado - maybe - just maybe an F1. Houses would have to be 12'' thick reinforced concrete with bulletproof glass - probably a $1,000/ sq ft. and ugly. No one would live in those. Safe rooms are a thought and they are getting more popular - just designed my first house with one.

I live in tornado alley - St. Louis. Just look at Joplin or our airport. Both were torn to shreds!! We design to 90 mph - that's it. And tornadoes can go to 300 mph!!!

I have lived here 55 years and NEVER even seen one!! Very spotty, very seldom hit populated areas or large areas. Although this year has been a bit "different" - global warming - you know???

Mike -
I heard in the news that some ICF - wall houses "survived" the recent tornadoes, but there was no specific info - was the roof peeled off partially, etc?

Thanks for the info guys. I have some limited experience with deck and truss work and certainly would pass my designs by an experienced SE in this line of work.

Being in the alley, I have witnessed 4 and driven through 1. Also had our place hit with 140mph micro burst that dozed 4 oaks. I realize I cannot design for the worst but I certainly would design above IBC 09 minimums. call me ridiculous but I am also considering cable anchor system that I can deploy/attach if the time is right. In most cases in the alley, you get at least 10min of warning that something bad is coming. Whether cables could truly save a structure is yet to be determined I guess.

Safe room will certainly be a below ground concrete vault. I personally hope I never need it but I assure you, once you see one, that structural part is always in the back of your mind.

I am still trying to learn a bit more about how tornados level buildings. It might be that all is pointless. I know the extreme low pressure cell inside can explode a home which makes me wondering about leaving a door open or something. Greensburg KS has some pretty innovative structures there after being leveled years ago.

The assumed failure path as I understand it.

The roof is blown or sucked off. Then the air pressure blows or sucks the walls in or out. With a tornado or hurricane you will both positive and negative pressures.

Common thinking today is to make the building air tight. If it survives roof or window blow out - then it might not over pressurize and explode.

OR - if you opened ALL the windows and doors you MIGHT equalize the pressure and be OK.. However, the inside would be a shambles with water damage everywhere!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back