Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tourist submersible visting the Titanic is missing 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling that the late Mr Rush may have been relying on his patented hull monitoring system to fill in for the "detailed inspection plan", at least as far as the CF hull was concerned. It also looks to me like that system was as unproven as the hull itself.

At this time we don't know what failed or when. The only knowns: 1. The submersible imploded. 2. Five people died. Until enough material is salvaged and analyzed, everything about the failure is conjecture/opinion.

It seems that Mr. Rush didn't know what he didn't know. Otherwise, why would he have chosen to continue to pilot this vessel?

"underwater censors" LOL

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

I did notice that one of the rings that was glued to the end of the carbon tube was disconnected from end bell. Not sure what that means, but does show the forces involved.

Don't you just love spill checkers...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Nothing particularly new here, but it looks like the porthole window wasn't actually attached to the endcap with bolts, since there's no visual evidence of broken bolts or bolt holes, so maybe only epoxy?
porthole_h0pui0.jpg

porthole2_iy68yy.jpg

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Well there was a bolted ring when it set off.

Screenshot_2023-06-29_174855_blxcvy.jpg

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Nah. It blew out at some point during the implosion. Bit difficult to see but looks to me like the acrylic view port had the 45 degree chamfer machined in so that the pressure sealed it more and also compressed the material. The bolts are just there to stop it falling out. That little round profiled end on the end cap can be see where the strop goes through it on the recovery photo.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

So AI will likely introduce 'errors' in future... just to make it more real.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

A secret network of underwater censors
No hanky panky in the swimming pool.

That picture may be the inside of the end bell. Hard to say exactly.
I don't see any bolts or bolt holes.

As for the damage, particularly to the un-pressurized back end;
Remember that if the implosion happened one hour and forty five minutes into the dive, they may have had over one half mile to fall
A lot of damage may have resulted from the impact with the bottom.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

My guess is the bolted flange probably separated from the end cap due to the strong moments applied to the bolts with a bolt driver during the recovery effort.

any validated maintenance plan to address any issues found by inspection.

For the tube it'd be replace since you can't really patch it.

strong moments applied to the bolts with a bolt driver during the recovery effort.

So you think they took it apart before raising the pieces? I'm doubtful of that.

LittleInch and waross:

I think you both nailed down the inspection plan! I won't bother asking which OceanGate manual contained it. LOL

Waross said:
That picture may be the inside of the end bell. Hard to say exactly.
I don't see any bolts or bolt holes.

It’s got to be the outside.
7C716612-1602-4BFF-8606-DC79ADEF8561_f6tdkz.jpg

The inside:

8CBA93A0-5E43-46F9-997F-7EAE3610BCED_cctgyn.jpg

Maybe the bolts were part of an outer assembly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back