Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tourist submersible visting the Titanic is missing 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

He may not have been aware of the material science that goes into carbon fibre stuff. It's only recently that I've become aware of some of the problems, as a result of this failure.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Yeah, it looks like he was either unaware or severely underestimated the cumulative damage to the CF under extreme cyclic compression loads. There was talk of the hull monitoring system flagging cracking noises that didn't occur on previous dives, or something like that, which suggests that he possibly wasn't counting each cracking noise as permanent / cumulative.

I'm not a 'materials guy', but this thread has been quite informative.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Another Opinion: Design News Jun 23, 2023: Carbon Fiber Is Safe for Submersibles When Properly Applied
Lets not completely discount this technology until all of the facts are in. It may be that the investigation could find fault with Oceangate's implementation, rather than the entire class of "Carbon Fiber Compost" material.

Test Sample Composite Energy Technologies
PV_Test_54_copy_aiwr1q.jpg

Link said:
Link said:
provides carbon fiber pressure vessels to commercial and government customers such as the Office of Naval Research that have never failed in their dives to much deeper sites than Titanic, said president Chase Hogoboom in an interview with Design News.
... “We’ve built vessels that we’ve cycled 200 times (to deep-sea pressures) and then brought to implosion and those fail at the same depth as new ones.”
The key is diligence in designing and testing the composite structures, Hogoboom explained. “We have a very high confidence in the strength of what’s been built,” he said. “We use engineering models, but we test to failure to validate what’s been modeled. That’s a crucial step that OceanGate has skipped," according to Hogoboom. “They never brought an exact clone to failure.”

He may not have been aware of the material science that goes into carbon fibre stuff.

He was told repeatedly that the structure needed to be tested, but he refused to do so, even after the original hull of the Titan didn't come close to meeting lifetime expectations and had to be rebuilt.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

You clearly see how removing the window would have made that heavy end cap easier to move with the crane. Also maybe they were concerned about the window getting damaged during shipping so they moved it to it's own padded crate.

I wasn't posting about the window, but I see you were.

I haven't seen anything on how these pieces are brought to the surface. ROV's? Lift bags? Crane with 2 1/2 miles of wire?

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

The whole health monitoring / acoustic emission patent is IMO nothing but wishful thinking / babbling. There is no way I would rely on AE to predict when a composite part is going to fail. AE might indicate some change in the material, or it might not pick up some change. But good luck determining what the AE signal is indicating. And yes, I’ve read a lot of related research papers over the years. And have run a lot of tests on composites.

It reads as if this guy did not value his own life and wanted to take some billionaires down with him.

Well, they apparently heard enough to cause them to drop ballast and skids. But too late....

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Well, it seems the RTM was quite accurate... All red.

Interesting that the failure was so slow. Carbon fiber reinforced plastics aren't really creep prone. Some plastics are. I know polycarbonate is. I believe thr viewport was acrylic but I don't know creep characteristics on that material.

It's highly implausible to me, I think it's a sickening bit of fictional clickbait to promote their channel. The video description is extremely heavy on keyword spam. Why would a channel dedicated to online learning in Pakistan somehow be the first to obtain and break such a significant information leak (they don't seem to have any other off-topic videos on their channel)?

One of the biggest flags for me that says it's a fake is that it just doesn't fit with the SAR timeline. No ship's Master or officer is going to delay for 8 hours in contacting the SAR authorities with that transcript in front of him, maybe a short delay to assess the situation but not 8 hours. Polar Prince might have been a relatively budget option, but she had professional bridge crew who would take that responsibility seriously. I don't believe the OceanGate surface crew would have withheld that information from the ship's officers. The 8 hour delay makes perfect sense if the OceanGate surface crew and ship's crew thought that it was just the comms failing again and believed that the sub was proceeding normally.

If it was a genuine leak of the comms, we'd likely be seeing it everywhere and some sort of corroboration.

It's possibly a fake. We'll have to suss it out like everything else. I was wondering if the time stamps could be corroborated with known good info.

I am skeptical on the YouTube video. How did GS Academy get access to the text logs when access to this info is almost certainly locked down? This looks like clickbait to me. If it is not legit, it is sad this group is attempting to monetizing death.

The heavy heavy accent certainly makes it more difficult for those of us unfamiliar with said accent to judge the authenticity. Perhaps this is a new tool of AI.

Did the Titan not have radio coms? SMS only? I find it odd that they would begin communicating with the SMS before the descent has even begun. Unless they just simply avoided it, I'd assume they would at least have VLF.

Precision guess work based on information provided by those of questionable knowledge

Radio doesn't work underwater.

Didn't seen any details but believe it is some sort of low frequency acoustic signal.

They said SMS simply to describe the level of text comms.

At those depths currents and thermal layers can affect the signal.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back