Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tourist submersible visting the Titanic is missing 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don`t think it's real. Also if you calculate the descent rate, some of the messages dont make sense. Based on the reported depth vs minutes into the dive the rate of descent works out to being between 39 and 43 m/min, but at the 9:30:36 message they say the rate is increasing and is at 35 m/min.

Well it's quite believable IMO.

No idea if they've somehow managed to get a copy of transcript or not.

If correct then it shows the RTM isn't up to much.

If the hull seriously delaminated would the buoyancy decrease?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Mu apologies if this video I linked and corosponding messages are fake. I was hoping after posting this there would of been a additional source found by now. Still seems rather plausible but take it with a grain of salt.

It doesn't make sense.
After they dumped the ballast, they shouldn't have needed thrusters to rise.
Water had have entered the hull to affect the bouyancy.
That raises two red flags.
1. Highly unlikely that there was a slow leak. A leak woild probably been quite rapid.
2. If there was a slow leak, they would have been aware and would have reported it as the reason for comprised bouyancy.
And then, while not very important, "Wattage" rather than power? Lost in translation? ESL composer?

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Realistically we know bugger all about how this vessel was set up to dive and ascend. Did they even weigh all the passengers and adjust the ballast weights accordingly? Has extras weight been added that was not accounted for? Did some other part of the sub break and gain weight?

There are reports previously of ballast that wouldn't release.

Also loss of power was reported before. Maybe it needs that power to help ascend.

That transcript might be a work of fiction, who knows?

We know that it was claimed that there were something like 7 independent ways to ascend, including in situations where there was total power loss. Any 1 of the multiple ballast drops were supposedly sufficient to let buoyancy take over and bring it to the surface.

Really?

As said we have zero real technical details on this sub other than some vague interviews. None of the components appear to be suitably rated in terms of reliability using various low tech off the shelf solutions. Testing seems to have been minimal and there are reports of previous dives having various mechanical and electrical problems. Including having to rock the sub from side to side to dislodge some of the ballast.

LittleInch said:
Radio doesn't work underwater.

Didn't seen any details but believe it is some sort of low frequency acoustic signal.

They said SMS simply to describe the level of text comms.

At those depths currents and thermal layers can affect the signal.
Not very deep it doesn't, but near the surface and at above the surface it will. It's the text message(s) at the start of the mission I find off.

7:52:34 [top] clear for descent. Enjoy the ride.

That one line reads to me like as soon as they are sealed in the sub, their communication turns into the text coms. I've seen more advanced forms of coms in college human powered sub competitions if that is the case.

Precision guess work based on information provided by those of questionable knowledge

Why is so much attention being placed on this un-corrobated YouTube video? It smacks of clickbait and everyone who clicks on it to investigate drives the traffic count of the video thus monetizing it and producing some level of income for a group/entity in Pakistan who has not explained where the info came from. I really dislike that false information and even direct lies can be put up in a video and that won't be apparent until the video is viewed. The falsehood is realized after the fact but by the very act of viewing the video the traffic count increases and thus increasing the 'worth' for advertising. What benefit is there for even discussing the video or its timeline? Is the source confirmed as valid? Am I missing something???

It's a GPT chat story. FAKE NEWS

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Yes it has a fake news vibe about it. It reads a bit like something ChatGPT would come up with.

Demented said:
I've seen more advanced forms of coms in college human powered sub competitions if that is the case.

Yeah, all the gushing comments seemed a bit odd. "Excellent!", "Enjoy!!"

Instead of using chatgpt to figure out what the last communication was why not crowd source it? You would have come up with something along the lines of "I swear to god if they installed that dang thruster in backwards again I'm gonna throw this XBox controller so hard, the navy will mistake it for a torpedo."

That's a lot more entertaining than anything chatgpt can write.

A video on the legal aspects of the case: (Summary: Oceangate probably wasn't open enough about the risks, and will get the bejeebers sued out of them, but probably also don't have much money or insurance backing anyway.)

David Lochridge, the guy that was fired, was originally the proposed pilot, per this article, and when he was fired, the finance director was asked to take over that job. And "engineers" were young and underpaid, too.

And, the operation was intentionally set up to avoid US oversight, although I'm not sure that would have had any effect on the actual design and operation of the submersible itself:

A couple of questions I've had:
-I've seen it mentioned a couple of times about them "dropping the skids" but can't imagine why those would be droppable, as it seems they needed those on to recover the sub on its sled at the end of the dive.
-I've seen it mentioned multiple places about the 17-bolts that held the entrance on. I remember reading one source that said the manway in was a tight squeeze and that a "large person" couldn't physically enter the sub. Yet, I've seen other pictures that seem to indicate the whole front dome unbolted with those 17 bolts, and not sure which is correct there. I've also seen a number of video clips of some other submersible where the clip used clearly wasn't the subject of the discussion, and this may be the issue on this point.

Yet, I've seen other pictures that seem to indicate the whole front dome unbolted with those 17 bolts, and not sure which is correct there. I've also seen a number of video clips of some other submersible where the clip used clearly wasn't the subject of the discussion, and this may be the issue on this point.

The passenger compartment does not actually occupy the entirety of the interior of the cylinder; there's a flat platform whereupon the passengers sit that reduces the overhead height. It's basically comfortable only if you are sitting down

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

If the choice was die or have the craft roll on it's side when it is pulled up, I'd go with ditching the legs.

JStephen said:
-I've seen it mentioned a couple of times about them "dropping the skids" but can't imagine why those would be droppable, as it seems they needed those on to recover the sub on its sled at the end of the dive.
Likely as just one of their fail-safes. When it comes to life and death and you need to shed weight, drop the skids. Recover the vehicle upside down if you really have to. I'm sure they would have dunnage on hand to stop the sub from rocking on the platform after recovery.

JStephan... great legal link, and pretty much what I thought would happen (comment of June 21).

A couple of things she didn't mention. Was NASA and Boeing aware that their name was used for promotional purposes? and did they do anything about it until after the failure? Another interesting point she mentioned was that the Titan was named after the Titanic which may ironic.

She failed to note that the Titanic was named after the Titans (Greek gods). There was talk at the time of the Titanic's sinking (I understand) that this was ironic and prescient because the Titans rebelled against the gods (at the time) and were cast out by Zeus. Some people at the time of the original sinking of the Titanic thought this could be retribution for naming the ship the Titanic.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back