Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Lazy designers/drafters 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

JsTyLz

Automotive
Jun 5, 2007
RO
I am not saying all designers or drafters are lazy, but for me it is like pulling teeth to get one of them to work. Of course I always get the project done in time, and in all honesty I generally expect more out of people than what they do themselves. I am just wondering how many other engineers out there have designers/drafters working for them and what they do/did to get them to work. I am thinking about going to my boss, but I think I should address the issue with this person first too. I guess this is half venting and half curiosity if other people go through this stuff too.

Stylz signing off

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dangerous thing to do ctopher, won't be long before one of them decides that they know everything about the machine shop and then try to run everything in there as well........

I know that this is probably a stupid question but do you guys in the States have slightly different meanings to your job titles. The reason I ask, is that I am a Component System and Product Design Engineer (ie Designer for short) and you seem to be using designer/draughter as almost the same title. Any explanations would be nice

Kevin

“It is a mathematical fact that fifty percent of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class." ~Author Unknown

"If two wrongs don't make a right, try three." ~Author Unknown

Kevin,
That was one of my responses above.
Yes, there are different meanings, depending on type of company and geographical locations.
I have worked with designers with degrees that are comparable to engineers with degrees at other locations. It varies. For the most part, a draftsman or designer is at a lower pay scale than a engineer.

Chris
SolidWorks 07 4.0/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 04-21-07)

In the states is goes like this.

1. Drafter/ CAD operator - No college necessary

2. Designer - Industrial and Manufacturing Degree (basically an engineering degree with no calculus and more focus on manufacturing)

(now these next two might be switched around in some companies, but generally...)

3. Design Engineer (or just Mechanical Engineer) - Bachelor's degree, or 10++ years of experience for some companies

4. Product Engineer - Master's or more often Bachelor's with a few years of industry specific experience. The difference between design and product engineer is the design engineer would micromanage the details of a design while a product engineer would handle more projects, but less of the details.

5. Project Engineer - Generally cannot reach this level without being a product or design engineer first. This engineer would have his own projects of middle to high complexity, and manage other engineers/designers, but not have any direct reports.

6. Senior Engineer - Complex projects with the application of unique, diverse technical knowledge and engineering principles

Then it goies on as Principal, Lead, Chief, Staff, Executive. In no particular order.

Relevant experience is also very often substituted for a degree for designers in the states. College is not always a necessity.
Also, Designer/CAD operator can be added to the above list.

Ouch ewh that hurt! I'm a checker, at least I’m doing the job just don’t have the qualifications, experience or, interestingly enough, the pay.

Kevin, From general perception of what I've seen so far.

Drafter/Designer are often used interchangeably. Generally implies no Bachelors, sometimes no formal engineering type education, just maybe CAD or drafting classes.

While it varies, to use the title Engineer usually implies you have at least a bachelors in Engineering. In some industries you have to pretty much be PE (CEng to you Kevin) to use the title Engineer.

From what I’ve seen Engineers in the US have more of a superiority complex than in the UK. Designers/Drafters have more of an inferiority complex.

Back in the UK at my place whoever could do the job did it, if you didn’t know how you learned. In the US it seems at least some people will say “I’m only a designer I can’t do that” or “I’m an Engineer I’m not going to do that”.

Plus side I have a bachelors, so get to be an Engineer, the others in my department don’t and they treat me like I’m better than them sometimes. Actually I’m not sure it’s a ‘Plus’, weird when people older than you , with more relevant experience etc defer to your judgment!

Please note, these observations are based on limited data points!

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

KENAT,
Of course that was tongue-in-cheek. It was my snide way of recognizing that industry doesn't place the value on checkers that they deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back