Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Miami Beach, Champlain Towers South apartment building collapse, Part 10 79

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Optical98 (Computer)2 Aug 21 15:50 said:
I couldn't find a way to translate them on IG.
Can they be copy-pasted into chrome browser? On it's newtab page there's a keypad logo in the upper right corner of the page, click and You can scroll down just a little and there is a translation button that takes you to a page where you can enter any language on the left and select any language on the right side of the page. have fun.
Sorry if this was already obvious, or if IG prevents you from copying...
Link

SF Charlie
Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies

MaudeSTL said:
What’s tricky about the 1:10 AM Collapse 1 (which sounded like a wall collapsing above) is that the Vazquezes didn’t report seeing concrete rubble in the garage when they came in right before the 1:15 AM deck collapse

I think we have to treat all witness statement times as approximate. Who goes through their day watching the clock constantly? I remember taking my trash bin to the curb this morning around 0645 but it could have been closer to 0700. There's no way I could say precisely what time it was. Know whut I mean Vern?

If the progressive failure of the patio slab originated at the construction joint nearest the pool (and furthest from the building) it would explain why there would have been no concrete rubble debris visible at the ramp. As that would have been the last area to have failed of the slab if the progressive patio failure slowly chewed its way towards the building.

It would also explain why the noises in 111 got progressively louder and more intense. Culminating with the collapse of the parking area immediately adjacent to the lobby as witnessed by Nir while she made the complaint related to being disturbed by construction noises.

@MaudSTL I'd love to see a list of parking space assignments. My gut is telling me that there's more to the story with either the Vazqyez's or the Zion's.

Optical98 said:
Actually if many of the original interviews could be found in the survivor's native language they would probably be more informative, would you agree?

Totally agree. As the Timeline shows, I was able to find interviews native language statements or interviews with Nicolas Vazquez and Ileana Monteagudo, but not with the Nirs. As I’ve previously mentioned, I think the Israeli Channel 13 interview with Gabe Nir would be a good one to find. But I only have one friend in Israel, and she didn’t find it. No one, so far as I know, has interviewed Shamoka Furman in Spanish or English. Jonah Handler and Angela and Deven Gonzalez, who were pulled from the rubble, are either already part of lawsuits or still in the hospital, so I don’t think they will be interviewed any time soon.

In Notes column in the Timeline, I listed questions I wish someone would ask the survivors, and I’m sure they are the tip of the iceberg. Can you think of questions we should ask them that I missed?

>>>>>Edit: When we were trying to figure out which wall cracked in her apartment, AtomixPro did a very good translation of Ileana Monteagudo’s interview. There’s a link to the thread that contains it in the Timeline spreadsheet.

Maud,

I would ask all of them if at some point they noticed a particular smell and where it seemed strongest.

Names and interviews that should be added:

Roberto Castillero and Adriana Sarmiento - the couple staying at Bluegreen and she made video of the garage ramp area. So far all interviews I've seen are with him, because he is bilingual.

I would ask him to be more definitive regarding (1)"garage roof coming down", because the roof fell under the front drive thru area too, it would help our timeline as to which happened first.(2) Ask them if they smelled anything, saw any smoke prior to collapse.
(3)How many people did they see on their balconies? They were out setting by the pool area of their hotel,(4) did they see any vehicles enter or exit the CTS garage before they heard the noises etc.

Steve Rosenthal Unit 705 - He gave several interviews

Esther Gofinkel and Alfredo Lopez -

Susana Alvarez Unit 1006 -
Albert Aguero 11th floor -

Questions:

Where was the crane located? Where was the tar kettle located? Had any vehicles recently been parked on the deck? Did you hear any strange noises before that night? What was the first time you heard noises that night? Did you look outside, and if so, what did you see?

Who was the woman with the suitcase? What unit was she in? Was she a member of the condo board?

Is the inspector related to the woman with the same last name who's unit was for sale?

For anyone who was in the basement pre-collapse. Did you see any debris? Any water? (As in, water from broken pipes.) Hear any sounds?

Debirlfan

Woman with a suitcase?

"Is the inspector related to the woman with the same last name who's unit was for sale?"

Are you referring to Maricela P. Prieto, sister of Rosendo R. Prieto
and owner of Unit 1111? I didn't know the unit was for sale. It was being rented by
Gloria Machado at the time of the collapse.

Optical98 (Computer) said:
Woman with a suitcase?

"Is the inspector related to the woman with the same last name who's unit was for sale?"

Are you referring to Maricela P. Prieto, sister of Rosendo R. Prieto
and owner of Unit 1111? I didn't know the unit was for sale. It was being rented by
Gloria Machado at the time of the collapse.

The woman with the suitcase was mentioned in the ESPN article I posted above:
"The family eventually found the street through a neighboring building and headed to nearby Harding Avenue, where a woman with a suitcase told them that she was packed and ready for something like this to happen. She left after the first bang and watched part of the building disintegrate."

Yes, I'm referring to Prieto. Someone back a thread or two had posted a real estate listing for the property, unfortunately I didn't save the link. I suppose it's possible that it was a listing for a rental, but the impression I had was that it was for sale. Maybe the poster still has the link?

I just came across this old lawsuit - Unit 112 vs CTS regarding wall damages.

It's 12 pages, that contain Exhibits of when the CTS HOA board along with a quorum of owners changed some of the By-Laws. Changing the responsibilities of certain upkeep/maintenance issues from CTS to owners.

I have wondered what exactly the Owner's monthly maintenance fees ($700-$900) per month..what all was that supposed to cover? Was there a detailed list? I did see a financial stmt once, but it lacked several details.

Debirlfan said:
Where was the crane located? Where was the tar kettle located?

Easier to just look.

38924D9E-B051-46EC-B93B-9D1A22F48A0D_e8xdqn.jpg

Well for rebar where repairs were, here's all I have thus far.

Privacy wall repair/modification, 2005
2-#50 A615 Grade 60 deformed 48" OC doweled 6"-8" into existing southern support wall terminating at end of pool deck (~130')
2-#5 3'x3' corner bars Grade 60 deformed, unknown amount

Pool deck slab repair, full depth, and column repair, under planters.
#5 steel rods doweled 4" into existing slab at 16" OC
3-#5 steel rods inserted into columns, bent and doweled 4" into slab
No call-out on grade

Balcony, column, interior slab, full slab depth, upper cooling tower beam, and parapat wall repair over the span from 2001-2009. Many permits, but the majority of this work was by the same engineering firm in a never-ending repair cycle of fixing the same thing thrice. Supervisory issues with day laborers it seems.
Per the plans
For replacement of rebar corroded by 25% or more,
#4 and #5 A615 Grade 60 Carbon Steel
Non-contact 4" lap splice with 3/4" gapping

For supplement of rebar corroded by 25% or more,
#4 and #5 A615 Grade 60 Carbon Steel
Minimum 30 bar diameter non-contact splice with 3/4" gapping
8" minimum bar depth dowelled

I'm still trying to figure out how much total was replaced.
Per the field notes:
This was all at the on-site engineer's discretion, so we also have on the fly additions of A36 mechanically spliced noted, #3 bar being added in front of railing supports, #4 and $5 bar being added around railing posts that was not there in the first place, and bars needing to be "replaced" because of burnt ends. Though the concrete work on this repair is by far the issue and not rebar here, even where A36 was used. (This is what I saw and let me to assume Grade 40)
Excluding the full beam, over 2000cf concrete replaced. 9" slumps, 2+h delays on pumping, water added after testing, supplier changes, a switch to bagged concrete and hand mixing. The photos are a must with this work.

Edit: Just so I hope everyone is on the same page. The majority of the issues found and noted in the Morabito report, such as the spalling, failed epoxy repairs, cracked slabs, etc, is all the same crap that was "fixed" in the above.

arbitaria

The listing I saw was posted by Demented several threads ago, but the post has been deleted, and I don't have the link. I could be wrong about it being a sale listing, but I remember it listed the condo fees, and I thought it listed a price.

Santos81

First time I've seen that photo, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back