Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Miami Beach, Champlain Towers South apartment building collapse, Part 14 41

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Flood-Awareness-Guide-8.pdf
Flood_Zones_Miami_Beach_f3gwit.png

SF Charlie
Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies

Demented (Industrial)31 Oct 21 11:33 said:
Quote (Santos81)
"We’re working on 3d Models to map out as built incorporating all the individual unit changes where applicable to aid in reconstruction. Having viewed the full footage from multiple cameras at 87 Park today, only makes that more difficult and important."
I don't seem to be able to find these quotes anywhere. where are they from?
Thanks

SF Charlie
Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies

SFCharlie said:
I don't seem to be able to find these quotes anywhere. where are they from?

Page 6
Santos81 16 Jul 21 02:10 said:
Santos81

I’ve seen 8, 9, and 9.5” specified along with multiple elevations for T.O. Basement Roof (Slab).

Regardless of that elevation value, T.O Footing is -5’0 from there, with B.O. Footing as specified per pile cap depth.

We’re working on 3d Models to map out as built incorporating all the individual unit changes where applicable to aid in reconstruction. Having viewed the full footage from multiple cameras at 87 Park today, only makes that more difficult and important.

I just want to be free to drive my forklift wherever I choose.

That 60 page PDF showing the receiver's filing in court, shows drawings from the engineering company, showing the exact equipment I was standing next to on my September 3 video that I shot at the scene. IT explains all the extraction ports and all the hoses I saw and showed on the video.

SFCharlie said:
Thanks very much!
Very much welcome.

Jeff Ostroff said:
...showing the exact equipment I was standing next to on my September 3 video that I shot at the scene. IT explains all the extraction ports and all the hoses I saw and showed on the video.

Yeah, someone already explained how that equipment worked back on September 26th.
It looks like they added a weather proof cover for the Diesel unit.
The official answer does fill in a few more details.

THIS CAUSE came before the Court on September 30, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. on the
Receiver’s Ore Tenus Motion to Execute Dewatering Permit.
1. The Receiver’s Ore Tenus Motion to Execute the Dewatering Permit requested by the
Town of Surfside is GRANTED as set forth herein. The Receiver is hereby authorized to
execute the dewatering permit. The Town of Surfside shall be responsible for making sure all
governmental regulations and requirements to dewater the property, including the draining the
water, are complied with.
2. The dewatering activities which will take place prior to the flying of any drone will be
non-destructive and will not draw water below the base of the slab. The Town of Surfside will be paying the costs for dewatering the Property.

I wonder, did they think the contractor would just leave the equipment on site running it and assume Miami would foot the bill upon their refusal to pay?

Precision guess work based on information provided by those of questionable knowledge

Demented said:
I wonder, did they think the contractor would just leave the equipment on site running it and assume Miami would foot the bill upon their refusal to pay?

After the WTC collapsed, it seemed like there was more of a sense of common purpose…the idea that many hands make light work and we’re all in this together. The CTS is strictly adversarial…it’s about blame-casting and litigation. How hard would it have been for Miami-Dade and the second wave investigators to have discussed how to handle the transition of pumping and guidelines for destructive testing in advance?

I seem to get the impression that they didn't want an investigation.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

I get that impression as well. Or at the very least, they didn't want an investigation not controlled by them (Surfside). I wonder if anyone's wife threw their phone in the wash this time.

Especially with the courts involved, it would have been extremely easy to continue the dewatering. The permit was still active, only a check would likely have been needed.

Precision guess work based on information provided by those of questionable knowledge

I finally uploaded my video today with some drone video that was shot over the site of the collapse on October 26th after they removed all of the dewatering equipment, and the video also talks about that mystery column next to the H beam that so far nobody has been able to figure out what it is I've had many discussions with a lot of people but nobody can come up with an explanation for it.
mystery_column_thumbnail_sojiyp.jpg

I'm not sure any government agencies want an investigation. I think it's the way things are done in Florida.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Jeff Ostroff

That is perplexing, but pictures can be deceiving. I'm thinking that the H beam probably didn't fall straight down during the collapse and landed a foot or so away from it's original location. I don't know if there was any effort to move it during the clean-up either.

Demented is good at drawing lines to correct our perspectives on here, maybe he can realign it. I highly doubt a new column was placed in the middle of the drive thru last year.

I'm still just as lost on that area as I was a month or two ago. The placement makes no sense. Beams 33, 34, and 35 ("H -beam") do appear to be resting at their proper location, but I still doubt this and feel something is shifted around where it shouldn't be.
I doubt a new column was placed there in the last year. Temporary shoring, if anything, would have been placed at areas of concern, not building a whole new column in the middle of a drive lane. Even the column Jeff's pointed out, is still not in the location of the random rebar. It all would have had to have been hidden under a topping layer in the basement level. Did this exist? It doesn't appear so, unless there were layers dumped on to level out places with thinner sections. I highly doubt a column punched it's reinforcement into the slab either.

Any remote possibility there could be some hidden randomness from the construction crane collapse in this area that could explain it?
Though I'm pretty sure that only landed on the forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back