Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pipeline Pressure Loss 14

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If one manages to repair the pipeline, how to get the last water out? Pig? Is such a pipe even piggable? Sump pump on a dolly? Has something like this been done?

You forget that Norway have increased there gas production to make up for the Russian one.

At the same time as the reports of gas leaks - new gas pipeline opens early in the Baltic Sea to reduce dependence on Russian gas.

Baltic Pipe will transport gas from Norway, via Denmark to Poland. Denmark's Prime Minister says that it is too early to draw conclusions about whether the opening of the new gas pipeline would have a connection with the Nord Stream leaks.

The 900-kilometer-long Baltic Pipe will be able to transport 10 billion cubic meters of gas each year, and the hope is that the pipeline will replace large parts of the Russian gas in Poland.
The plan is for the pipe to start delivering in the beginning of October and run at full capacity from January 1, 2023.

5Sk%C3%A4rmklipp_vln1eo.jpg

5Sk%C3%A4rmklipp_r6kkcp.jpg

“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.“
Albert Einstein

The same as the Arab nations Russia can't actually service and support its own energy business without western tech or knowledge.

The argument over the ns1 turbine getting serviced in Canada is case in point.

It's whole production and pipeline network is now completely unsupported. Even its nuclear power plants are reliant of western control systems and tech.

The swap away from Russian energy is well underway.

The well service expertise is now gone. They never had drilling experts. Chances of them being able to shut down a well and be able to recover it later.. no chance. Also most of the northern installations were built on perma frost which is now melting.

He presumed the western governments were weak and the energy crisis would create instability which would then stop the support against Russia.

So no I wouldn't say it's going Russia's way. Or if it's actually recoverable now for them.

I was curious if anybody other than the Russians would be interested in blowing up the pipeline. This was the result of my first Google search. There were protests the day before.

Screenshot_20220927-133038_b8ahu4.png

Yep, plenty of people will be very please it's been blown up.

From tree huggers through to Texans.

There will also be a load that are very unhappy about it.

The vast majority though won't care.

hacksaw It was used initially, but when the contracts were cancelled, it was shutdown, and valves shut.
Rather difficult to purge a subsea pipeline filled with CH4 (100+ Barg) with air without enormous risk.

We don´t know what happen but we can speculate "In offshore, the subsea pipelines are the major modes of oil and gas transportation. Mixed oil, gas, and water pumped out from underwater (or offshore production platform) to other offshore facilities (processing platforms. Operating condition changes within the subsea oil-gas mixture pipeline, such as sudden downstream closure, start-stop of the pumps, valves, etc, cause a sudden rise of internal pressure leading to the water hammer effect."

"Water hammer is a commonly observed phenomenon in a fluid flow. The water hammer phenomenon is a special oscillation phenomenon caused by the flow's kinetic energy transforming into potential energy, which causes the pressure inside the pipeline to rise and forms the pressure wave which is transmitted through fluid contained in a piping system. The most basic explanation, in simple words, is that when a fluid in motion is suddenly forced to stop moving, the momentum of the fluid abruptly stopping creates a pressure wave that travels through the media within the pipe system, subjecting everything in that closed system to significant forces."

regards

luis

It seems more then unlikely that you would get the same failure in three pipelines in the same day and if there was a explosion or pressure rice inside the pipe, the Germans would have recorded it and seen a spike in pressure before the drop down to 7 bar.

The Russians did increase the pressure on the pipeline going to Ukraina some month ago without any prewarning, but the Ukrainians caught it in time to fix it on their end.

Albert Einstein

Dry Natural Gas pipelines do not experience significant pressure changes due to waterhammer effects and in such a long pipeline it would take quite awhile for pressures to rise from shutting a downstream valve. Line pack pressure rise is much slower than in liquid lines. A lot of energy is expended to get the gas compressed, as opposed to a very hard to compress liquid, so pressure rise is unproportionally slower.

Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

I do wonder what they want?

Russia has requested a meeting of the UN Security Council about the Nord Stream leaks, and Sweden will now contact the members of the council before the meeting.

"It is important that there is a fact-based discussion," says Foreign Minister Ann Linde.

There is still no designated actor who is suspected of being responsible for the attack, but the Security Police today took over the Swedish preliminary investigation.

They say that the gas will run out so maybe they can make some investigations on Sunday.

Albert Einstein

In Milliontown's link, the source of the sub was never disclosed. The subject was quietly dropped all together. Probably not Russia. Iran has UUV's. Maybe it was them? They were in the midst of some big political negotiations at the time. Wouldn't want to torpedo those. It doesn't help that their military operates semi-independently from the government.

Reading the the article Milliontown linked - and an earlier one linked within that article, it didn't sound as if the 2015 discovery was seen as in any way nefarious. Something more like a Seafox that had got lost somewhere along the way.

A.

That certainly makes more sense. It seems like that should have been identified. I guess nobody wants to be known for losing explosive unmanned vehicles.

No Iranians..

Underwater craft at Gotland may be armed minesweepers
2015-11-09 15:21 Monica Kleja

5Sk%C3%A4rmklipp_ddtx2x.jpg

"The model is similar to the system that Sweden uses for mine clearance, which is called Atlas Seafox," says the naval captain to Ny Teknik.

The Swedish Armed Forces may assist Nord Stream in removing the underwater vessel found near the company's gas pipeline south of Gotland.

The underwater craft that was sighted on Friday near the company's Nord Stream gas pipeline is a military application used to clear mines and carries an explosive charge.

- The model is similar to the system that Sweden uses for mine clearance, which is called Atlas Seafox and can carry an explosive charge of 1.5 kilos.

This is stated by Captain Jesper Stolpe, duty officer at the Naval Tactical Staff.

There, they are currently preparing whether to make a decision on a contribution. Namely, Nord Stream has asked the Swedish Armed Forces for quick help in drifting away and rendering the craft harmless.

An effort can possibly be carried out in the middle of the week. But it also depends on how the weather will be in the area south of Gotland.

- We do not want to make a hasty decision about an effort, but carefully follow the weather development to see when we can implement support for Nord Stream, says Jesper Stolpe.

What the navy plans to do is to identify, move and render harmless the unknown vessel, which lies at a depth of 30-50 meters and bears traces of having been in the water environment for a long time.

At present, the object is said to pose no risk. But is so close to the gas line that it could cause a hole if something were to trigger an explosion.

The Swedish Maritime Administration has issued a navigation warning that extends three nautical miles around the discovery site.

- About ten countries use Atlas Seafox, which is manufactured in Germany. In Sweden, only the navy uses it, says Jesper Stolpe.

Albert Einstein

Funny I think.
On a other website
@playNow  "No. Natural Gas is a hydrocarbon so it is toxic" bla, bla, ...

My response,

Well, you can believe what you like. I would be interested to hear your explanation of how we and a billion other creatures managed to emerge from methane filled primal swamps where we evolved in coexistence with high methane concentrations in the previous zillion years before. In fact you may also discover that methane, CH4, is thought to be one of the most basic components in the soupy mix where life itself originated. You also fart it out of your a$$ at least few times each day. Please tell me how in the heck have you managed to live so long producing so much of that stuff???
Your apology accepted in advance.

Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Red, I guess us English only speakers weren't privy to the rest of the story.

1503, I use the same reasoning anytime anybody claims climate change is an existential threat.

That at least makes some sense.
Keep a box of matches handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back