Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sheet scale question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warrior850

Military
Sep 6, 2018
US
Hey everyone,
New guy here! These forums look like there is a lot of useful information here! Defiantly going to be on here a lot, haha. Anyways, into my question. Don't know if this is the correct form/place to post but any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a standard or something stating that each sheet should have the same "Scale" in the title block? Say I have a 3 page drawing, Sheet 1 I show it at 1:1 scale, should each sheet after that show 1:1 in the title block? Or should the title block reflect what is on that current sheet? For instance Sheet 1 is 1:1 view, Sheet 2 is 1:2, and Sheet 3 is 2:1.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We only put the drawing scale on sheet 1 and all other sheets use that scale. Any view that uses a different scale has that noted. Note that our drawings conform to ISO standards, not ASME/ANSI or what ever they call themselves now.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Thanks dgallup for the info! I was thinking that was the preferred way, but I was shown/and used an incorrect way at my last job. This new job they use how you said.

I will disagree with an example:

Imagine you have some large machine.

You may need to have Sheet 1 be nothing more than an overview drawing. Showing the whole machine, identifying sections, views and details that are on other sheets.

Those sections, views and details could all be at a different scale scale than the first sheet to show more details than possible on the overview.

Or you could do that by calling out the scale for each section, view or detail.

From ASME Y14.100-2017, para. 4.24.2, Indication of Scale:

"The scale, or scales, to which drawings are prepared shall be indicated on the drawing. The scale to which the majority of views and sections are drawn shall be entered after "SCALE" in the space provided on the drawing. For multisheet drawings, the predominant scale used for each sheet shall be entered after "SCALE" in the space provided on that sheet. The options for depicting scale, fraction, ratio, or decimal are indicated as examples below. The scale of each view or section drawn to other than the predominant scale shall be entered directly below the title of the view or section. For example:

SECTION A-A
SCALE 1/2

SECTION A-A
SCALE 1:2

SECTION A-A
SCALE .5"

------
From ISO 5455:1979 for Scales:

"4.1 The designation of the scale used on the drawing shall be inscribed in the title block of the drawing.

4.2 Where it is necessary to use more than one scale on a drawing, the main scale only shall be inscribed in the title block, and all other scales adjacent to the item reference number of the part concerned, or adjacent to the reference letter of a detail view (or section)."

ISO refers to a single sheet as a 'drawing'.

We are an ISO-conforming shop, and all multi-sheet drawings have the correct scale for each sheet in the title block.

Since in mechanical drawings you will have enlarged and reduced views on succeeding pages to page one, these enlarged and reduced views will need to have their scales shown under their sub-titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back