Work / Life Balance 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterso2

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2006
US
Hello,
I am a 25 yr old Engineer with a Bachelors employed for 4 years so far. The company I work for is decent, but I don't find the work all that interesting and I'm basically stuck doing the same thing for the next 10 years +. I am still living in my parents basement - although I do pay them rent it is not much.

My life outside of work is in bad shape right now. I've got two real friends I hang out with. One has a degree and one doesnt. I do not know any females - the ones I used to know have all disappeared along with other friends to different states. Right now the weeks keep churning and all I do is go to work and the gym and sleep. How can this be changed? Is life really this dull outside of work until retirement?
Now its not all doom and gloom I'm sure I've got it better than a LOT of people in life but its still frustrating and depressing most of the time. Any reccomendations?

Thank You.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While you are still young, hit up the clubs and take all the rear you can get. [thumbsup2]. It is sure to relieve some dreary nights...
You can decide on a wifey later.

[peace]
Fe

I was in the same situation when I graduated. The thing that changed my life was moving out of my parents house. I met a great group of friends and life was great. Don't worry and stress out about finding a girlfriend or wife, it will happen. Get involved with something you like and you will meet friends.

Don't worry peterso2, a lot of us have been in your boat before. We engineers get so committed to our work life we can't see the forest through the trees.

One of the first ways to meet people are in professional organizations (ASME, EWB-USA etc) since you'll already have some common ground.

Volunteering is another alternative and if you're really committed, Peace Corps, Americorps, and Habitat for Humanity are always looking for volunteer engineers. The engineering would be <25% of what you do now but hey you're asking about developing your interpersonal intelligence.

A dog, hobbies, or church (or maybe service organizations and yoga if you're not religious) are other great ways to develop your emotional intelligence. I know it's hard but think outside the box.

Whatever initiatives you take be committed to them and don't get discouraged if you don't succeed right away. Start with being happy with yourself first and then worry about the girls.

KENAT,

Does the guide dog manage to shave your hands? [tongue]

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Smell the roses young man... My recommended steps for you:
1) Embrace the basement, because it'll never again be that simple. Fix it up. Get a pool table, etc.
2) Get into martial arts for fitness and self-confidence.
3) Get a hobby - for me it's old cars.
4) Learn to cook so you can eat the best foods available.
In thirty years you'll only wish things were as simple as they are now, because they won't be. You'll have limited freedom, and you'll be serving many masters.
John M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back