Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Assembly Drawing BOM Change Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshmo

Aerospace
Oct 2, 2006
US
I deleted an item from my assembly drawing BOM for an ECN and have a question. Is it good practice to delete the whole row and item number then shift down everything above it or should I renumber every item? Its an 8 sheet drawing so I hope I don't have to renumber everything. Let me know what you guys think...thanks in advance

Josh.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the past, I would just delete the words out and leave the number. Then I would put a rev symbol next to the empty space to indicate that is where the part was deleted from. Really I think it comes down to your feelings about the time it would take to re-number.

Also take into account any other documentation which may refer to specific item numbers on your assembly. If you re-number, those documents will need to be revised.

Joshmo,

It is good practise to not screw up.

It sounds like you are on a non-intelligent CAD system. If you change item numbers on your parts list, you are going to have to search every single page of your drawing for every single instance of your items, and change each one correctly. What are your changes of getting this right, and what values is there in changing item numbers anyway?

Don't do it.

The next question is informational. You state in your revision block that you deleted the item as per the ECN. You can delete the line. You can remove the data from the line, leaving only the item number. You can cross out the data in the line, leaving it readable, but obviously (enough?) that it is not to be ordered or kitted. What do people need to know?

SolidWorks has the ability to cross out no-longer used item in the BOM. I choose not to use this feature because the cross-out is a Microsoft Excel format that may not transfer to a plain text database. You need to consider the limitations of your software.

JHG

Yes I'm using non-intelligent software so deleting the text from the item row is probally the best thing to do. I've drawn a line through the text before but deleting the text seems like a better thing to do. Thanks Guys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back