Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Miami Beach, Champlain Towers South apartment building collapse, Part 03 148

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The reinforcement, I believe they were referring to was the fact that the top bars at each column was to have 25% of the bars going through the column so we should have seen at least 4-5 top bars hanging off to columns not 2-3. (Out each of the 4 sides) This of course could be because some were sheared off or some bars were placed just at the edge of the column and stayed in the slab below. Depending on the specification Tolerances this may or may not have been an acceptable construction practices…

merlin_189828297_19bf1dbd-7331-4b44-b2e6-880ccd7f1d19-superJumbo_ln9xxj.jpg

DroppedBits (Electrical) said:
Quite frankly, if my dogs were trapped in there, one way or another I'm getting into that building to bring them out.

I understand how attached people get to their pets. Last Sunday evening I rescued a neighbor's cat from forty feet up in a pine tree. It was my first animal rescue climb, but I've made over two hundred climbs over seventy feet in the past two years as a recreational climber.

Here is a theory based upon diagonal concrete tear in Stair Wall. A column anchor was to be mounted on column at what appears to be beginning of tear in stair wall. What if they were testing that anchor to 5000 lbs proof load and damaged wall in process but it did not fall till later?

Cantilever roof only extends in the area below this anchor for Penthouse and Floor 12, and a large chunk of stair wall would seem to be enough to drop both those cantilevers and perhaps explain the lady seeing the patio deck collapsed from the lobby, but being able to escape her room. Then maybe step 2 was the 14000 F350 Dually Truck backing into garage column?

Just curious, are there any of the Structurals here think they could of safely shored the remaining portion of the building instead of the expedited demolition? I realize it would be costly but it might save them from losing evidence and buy rescuers some time to get pets out.

That would have been my approach, but not on site... also it helps with destroying any evidence. This is likely less costly, also... all in the Florida governments best interests. I'm surprised the other government agencies haven't stepped forward.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

What was the original pool deck designed for? Its a slab with sand and then pavers over it. Was the pool ever rehabbed and built up where they added this layer of sand?

The F350 Dually comment is based on other comments concerning the tik tok video of garage ramp before collapse. Even without that part 2 of theory, part 1 may have been enough to be the straw on the camel's back for a poor maintained structure with lots of water under that roof area that was being replaced.

If an F350 Dualie was involved, it would be in the Tik Tok video - stuck in the outer garage opening because it wouldn’t fit in a garage with 6’5” clearance. Nor would it make any of the turns.

I’m thinking the round object is a ventilation fan, which the plans show as being in that general area.

DDC78D71-2095-4011-B802-6B40003E3A89_z3qlmb.png

I am not wanting to further expand the F350 Dual Axle Tik Tok, but a 1994 Ford F350 2 wheel drive has an overall height from Ford of 6 feet and 2 inches, which is less than 6'5" Entrance height limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back