Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Miami Beach, Champlain Towers South apartment building collapse, Part 03 148

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was checking out photos of the place on
. I wasn’t sure if this was something or not. To me it look like the driveway might have a ridge. I wasn’t sure if this lined up with a beam.

0DAB9ADA-AEAE-4B29-8224-ADE717031FD7_y4pgvd.png

The pic I have was taken last night around 10:pm ish as the building was collapsing.
They are flower pots but that's not what is in my pic. Look at it closely if you dare. I have investigators looking into it. We are skirting the realms of metaphysical engineering. I know Engineers don't like irrationality..

ChiefInspectorJ said:
The pic I have was taken last night around 10:pm ish as the building was collapsing.
They are flower pots but that's not what is in my pic. Look at it closely if you dare. I have investigators looking into it. We are skirting the realms of metaphysical engineering. I know Engineers don't like irrationality..
What KingBobo posted in his picture is in the exact same location is the "people" you are seeing. I think you may need to get a new set of glasses! ;)

Probably because metaphysical has some irrational definitions

I like this one
[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.yourdictionary.com/metaphysical[/URL]]Designating or of the school of early 17th-cent. English poets, including esp. John Donne, George Herbert, Richard Crashaw, and Abraham Cowley, whose verse is characterized by very subtle, highly intellectualized imagery, sometimes deliberately fantastic and far-fetched.

This one I like less, but it is probably closer to current usage
[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysics[/URL]]Topics of metaphysical investigation include existence, objects and their properties, space and time, cause and effect, and possibility. Metaphysics is considered one of the four main branches of philosophy, along with epistemology, logic, and ethics.

I prefer physics - the study of things I can lay my hands on.

I think a better word might be Pareidolia - the tendency to perceive a specific, often meaningful image in a random or ambiguous visual pattern (Webster’s)

A main branch of philosophy and it can't even be defined? Dang it all, I'm here to expand my knowledge, not have my assumptions reaffirmed.

Js5189, so you're saying metaphysics is a symptom of schizophrenia?

I know i'm beating a dead hourse...
Oxford Languages said:
met·a·phys·ics
/ˌmedəˈfiziks/
noun
the branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things, including abstract concepts such as being, knowing, substance, cause, identity, time, and space.
"they would regard the question of the initial conditions for the universe as belonging to the realm of metaphysics or religion"
abstract theory with no basis in reality.
"the very subject of milk pricing involves one in a wonderland of accounting practice and a metaphysics all its own"

SF Charlie
Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies

Metaphysics (noun): Nonsense, woo-woo, bamboozlement, bunco, chicanery, malarky, flimflam, flummery, humbuggery, mountebankery, pettifoggery, skullduggery, legerdemain, lunacy, dupery, junk science, pseudoscience, fiddle-faddle, claptrap, tomfoolery, twaddle, hogwash, hokum, and hooey

Up there someone posted this article from the historic preservation society and I was wondering if someone could explain the coastal construction line as it applies to structures on beach exposed property… is this calculated by a flood study? And what impact would it have to the current catastrophe? They seem to think it’s critical in the explanation of interference from the neighboring construction.

Apologies for asking something that may be obvious, I make a different kind of universe at work and also pretty freaking far from ocean

illustr8r said:
Up there someone posted this article from the historic preservation society and I was wondering if someone could explain the coastal construction line as it applies to structures on beach exposed property… is this calculated by a flood study? And what impact would it have to the current catastrophe? They seem to think it’s critical in the explanation of interference from the neighboring construction.

Construction eastward of the CCCL requires approval from the city and FDEP. There is construction east of the CCCL up and down the coast on a regular basis. FDEP hands out approvals relatively easily. This is also a VE flood zone which further complicates modern construction by utilizing frangible (breakaway) walls that are parallel to the ocean.

The Coastal Construction Control Line (CCCL) Program regulates structures and activities which can cause beach erosion, destabilize dunes, damage upland properties, or interfere with public access. CCCL permits also protect sea turtles and dune plants.

Building Official, FL & PA
The Building Code Forum

Ok, why is it so hard to find aerial photos of the new pile? There were hundreds available before the demolition but maybe one or two post-demolition, and all from street level.

We keep hearing that the demolition went perfectly, which it appears that it did, but how the west half came down, and where the rebar was and wasn’t is of significant public interest as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back