Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Quick Drawing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhmeng

Aerospace
Apr 9, 2015
US
I was wondering if it is fine to call out chamfers and surface roughness in this way (having a dot on a surface) VS showing a different view with an arrow pointing to that surface. Are there any standards for this? Also I know the "all around" surface roughness callout is not legit so i dont want to get into a debate about that.. Thanks. See images.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=594a0bb6-e097-46f2-91d5-682bb6bf1a65&file=chamfer.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not the best way to call out a chamfer or surface roughness requirement. To be frank, with modern CAD systems it does not require much effort to add one or two additional views to explicitly define the chamfer and surface roughness requirements. So I can't see why you would not do so.

yea i know that it is fairly simple to do add section views, and the method I showed is unconventional. However when you have a drawing for one part that is on its 8th sheet, I would prefer that the machinist did not have to look through 30 different drawing views to figure out a chamfer angle. It makes more sense to me to convey all the dimensions of a feature in the same drawing view if possible... thank for the input however I already changed the surface roughness and I may change the chamfer...

They'd both probably work, and I don't think I can categorically say they are wrong but... anytime you do something a little unusual or nonstandard there is probably more chance of misunderstanding. Sometimes this risk is justified, sometimes not - that's up to you.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Depending on the shop practices at your company the .188 x 45 degree may mean the surface width is .188 and the chamfer could mean .133 x 133 chamfer.
Putting an upper and lower finish requirement is very unusual, meaning if you got a 16 finish you would have to roughen the surface. Normally you should put 64 finish meaning you want 64 finish or better and not a lower limit.

Bill Pearson CMfgE

Bill, thanks for the input, however our application does require the surface to be roughened if the surface is below 32. I also cleared up the chamfer issue so there should be no ambiguity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back